Getting the most out of purpleheart

TheyCallMeTex

New User
Ben
I bought this beautiful slab of purpleheart for a new sitting/standing desk. I bought the base, so it's a study in understanding the natural product and getting the most out of it.

From what I've read, after I sand it, I should rub down with acetone and set in the sun for a few hours, possibly hitting it with more acetone. The thinking is that the acetone brings the relevant chemicals to the surface and that the uv rays from the sun will oxidize them. You can also bake the wood (I've read) and get similar results.

Then I was going to do one or two coats of clear shellac flowed by a poly w a uv inhibitor.

Any other advice? This is my biggest project yet and the first time I've worked with purpleheart that wasn't a thin border in a cutting board.

Thanks in advance!

Shop's a mess I know!
PXL_20230318_183527678.jpg

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Ben, I am not sure what the acetone/sunlight treatment is supposed to accomplish. While I have only used small pieces of purpleheart as embellishments, I have never treated it any different than any other wood species. My typical finish is wipe-on poly which really makes the purpleheart pop and the wood has retained is beautiful purple color for years. I will be interested in how others, with more purpleheart experience, respond.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I suggest a test piece before risking that beautiful slab. I left a piece in the sun for a few months and it got kind of grey.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Ben:

Did I sell you that slab a couple of days ago?😁 I also do not know what the acetone/UV is supposed to do. Until you get some protectant like poly on there UVis the enemy of purple heart.

Unknownroad

New User
Sarah
I've had purple heart lose its color after heavy sanding. I put it under a blacklight (UV) for a day or so and that brought the color back out without a need for acetone.

TheyCallMeTex

New User
Ben
Ben:

Did I sell you that slab a couple of days ago?😁 I also do not know what the acetone/UV is supposed to do. Until you get some protectant like poly on there UVis the enemy of purple heart.
Ha I think you might have! When I sanded it the purple went away, so I have to do something!

From what I've read this is pretty typical. The wood starts out a dull color (which you can get back by sanding), and then there's some chemical reaction that happens between some oil in the wood and UV light. The wood first turns purple, then back to the dull brown.

As I understand it, the trick is to expose it to light a little until you get the right color, and then finish it ASAP.

To your point, if you expose it to TOO much UV, then the color goes back to brownish, and you have to start the whole thing over again.

TheyCallMeTex

New User
Ben
I've had purple heart lose its color after heavy sanding. I put it under a blacklight (UV) for a day or so and that brought the color back out without a need for acetone.
Nice this is a great trick. I think the acetone should speed it up, I think I'll saw off a corner and do some testing.

TheyCallMeTex

New User
Ben
Any thoughts from the room on Rubio Monocoat? It's all the rage on YouTube...

Also, here's an interesting tutorial I found on getting good purple color on purpleheart that's been milled down to brown.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS