Getting Played (my mandolin, that is)

Status
Not open for further replies.

W Burton

New User
Bill
I have built a couple of mandolins now, but have had no idea about how they play or sound. I don't play. In fact, I am left handed, and can't even hold a right-handed mandolin correctly. (Building a mandolin started as a dare from my brother, but that's another story.)

Here's my second mandolin:

mando 2.jpg

My wife and I planned a trip to Cambridge, MA to see several of our favorite singer/songwriters play together under the band name "Redbird" at a little club there. They were playing three nights, and we were going to two of the shows. Just on a whim, I emailed one of the folks that would be playing and asked if they would be interested in having a mandolin available to play, explaining that I had built it. I got a message back from one of the guys in the band saying that he hadn't played mandolin very much recently, but encouraged me to bring it along and come see him before the show. So, I did.

The musician's name is David "Goody" Goodrich, and I would call him a multi-instrumentalist. I found him before the show, and he really was encouraging about my mandolin. He liked the feel and the sound, and started in playing little riffs. It was nice to finally hear real music coming from that little box! Anyway, he played the mandolin on several songs that first night, and asked me to bring it back the second night as well. During that next night's show, he played it during about half the band's songs. I have to think that he must have really liked it to keep playing it. To me, the experience was almost like being a proud papa hearing those first words.

Here is a little video I shot of my mandolin getting played by Goody Goodrich with the band Redbird at Club Passim in Cambridge MA on Friday night, August 22. The other band members are Peter Mulvey, Kris Delmhorst and Jeffery Foucault.

[video=youtube_share;oRuN4P3to0Q]http://youtu.be/oRuN4P3to0Q[/video]

I have a third mandolin nearing completion -- this one is left handed. I can't play anything else, so there is no reason to think I can play mandolin, but I am going to give it a try!

Bill

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Having seen that in your shop, it is great to hear what it sounds like in the hands of a musician. Not only purdy, but sounds purdy too.

The almost solo at about 2:25 in was great.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
That is neat Bill. Beautiful instrument you made. Obviously the musician like the instrument enough to take it on stage and keep using it. Pretty sound endorsement. (Pun not intended but noted)

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
"... I got a message back from one of the guys in the band saying that he hadn't played mandolin very much recently, but encouraged me to bring it along and come see him before the show. So, I did. "

Good that you brought it, Bill!
And to his credit - for not having played very much lately, he played it well.
That was awesome, thank you for sharing!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
What a great experience, Bill. Thank you for sharing it w/ all of us. Wish someone had been taping you while it was being played. That would have been worth seeing. :)

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Beautifully crafted; and in the hands of an artist it has a beautiful tone! Very well done:eusa_clap

Jimbo

James
User
Bill,
Beautiful work. I'm a hobby woodworker who played mandolin for many many years, and been fortunate to own some wonderful instruments. I also have tried unsuccessfully to build a playable mandolin. So I know whereof I speak in saying that you have real talent - the fit and finish of the craftmanship, and the tone are excellent. Good on ya! What plans did you use?
Jim O'B

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I bet you were like a proud daddy hearing first words. Fantastic instrument thanks for sharing.

BTW - my opinion... One is never to old to learn to play an instrument.

W Burton

New User
Bill
Bill,
Beautiful work. I'm a hobby woodworker who played mandolin for many many years, and been fortunate to own some wonderful instruments. I also have tried unsuccessfully to build a playable mandolin. So I know whereof I speak in saying that you have real talent - the fit and finish of the craftmanship, and the tone are excellent. Good on ya! What plans did you use?
Jim O'B

Thanks so much for all the kind words, everybody. I began by using the book and plans from Roger Siminoff, from which I built my forms and jigs. I then got the Don MacRostie video and plans, and that helped to clarify a few things. I've also gotten some help from folks on here with bending the sides and finishing. I have also been following some of the topics on the Mandolin Cafe website. It would really be great to find an affordable class on building mandolins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS