General question regarding Craig's List etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Matt
This sounds typical from my experiences. As some others have said, you get all kinds of folks who say they are coming and never show up. As the seller you might have turned away a true buyer.

For me I tell all bidders -- show me the money.

You can get burned anywhere. Even here.

Look at how many people come on the site to do one thing:

Sell their equipment. Not one other post. Heck we have folks selling non-woodworking items in the past. Go figure?

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I do buy a lot of things from CL ads too, but if I find something I want , I go get it immediately. As others have said, people are flaky... they put you off blah blah blah... money talks, BS walks

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
Matt,
Your seller was unethical.

I have had a lot of transactions on CL - primarily selling lumber - and have never had a bad experience at an actual sale. Woodworkers are just nice, cool people and I have met some very interesting ones. My MO is to respond in order of the responses I get to the ad. If there are no-shows [buyers can be unethical, too] I respond to the next in line and when there are 8 to 10 responders that can take some time. After the sale I write to all to inform them. This must be unusual because I will sometimes get a "thanks" in return.

Bob

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
It seems like whenever dealing with CL, people like to use the Nathan Bedford Forrest approach. A Confederate General who said, " The side that wins the battle is usually the one that gets there the fustest with the mostest." I think in a situation where I had 2 buyers show up at the same time, I would give consideration to the first buyer only if he had sealed the deal, i.e. 'handshake'. Often times someone could show up first and then start complaining that the item was not as advertised, etc. If another buyer is standing there waiting that usually incentivizes them to a degree, but as a buyer, I would not let a second buyer rush me into a sale that I would later regret. Better to go home empty handed than regret the purchase, or as they say, "Marry in haste, regret in leisure." Not my style.....

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
"Look at how many people come on the site to do one thing:

Sell their equipment. Not one other post. Heck we have folks selling non-woodworking items in the past. Go figure"

True, that, and in the past we have even had refurbishers that only posted when they had a sale to make, but then we are a WWing site, and if I had a viable product to sell I would put my efforts towards the most effective return for my time.
It doesn't concern me to see a 'once and done' here, because they won't hinder the users that use the site for its intended purpose, and they may have something to offer in the way of tools that a loyal member can use to their benefit. It's usually their loss in that they bought tools they found out they either couldn't use or lost interest in. I think the members here as a whole are glad to see something like this as long as they can get a bargain.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I'm sorry to say it but I actually cussed a guy out that sold something out from under me. I called, it was available, I said I'd be right over, and it was gone by the time I got there....about a 10 to 15 minute ride. I cussed him out to his face. Told him how rotten he was, unethical, yadda...yadda.... Ya, it's hit and miss.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I'm sorry to say it but I actually cussed a guy out that sold something out from under me. I called, it was available, I said I'd be right over, and it was gone by the time I got there....about a 10 to 15 minute ride. I cussed him out to his face. Told him how rotten he was, unethical, yadda...yadda.... Ya, it's hit and miss.

Luckily, we didn't hear about this on the evening news. Could have easily been one more Craig's List statistic.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Your seller was a jerk, unfortunately the world is full of them. If they could fly we would not see the sky.

I have missed many. I no longer sell on CL, but I do buy often.

When I see a great buy I text the seller and say I will buy, have cash and can be there fast.

Years ago when I bought the MAC tool box that is in the trailer. I saw the ad, called and was at his house in less than one hour. Other buyers pulled up right behind me. Best way to win to to move very quickly

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I've been burned a couple times on CL (buying,) but have had some good experiences too. Once I bought a Delta table saw off CL. Even though seller was only 20 miles away, life wouldn't allow me to get there for a week. Sent seller a check drawn on a bank in his town. (Memo line stated what check was for.) He took it to my bank in his home town cashed check, and a week later I picked up item. Similar experience buying a food processor from seller in Winston Salem. We would be going to Dixie Classic Fair in two weeks, so sent seller a check again drawn on a local bank. Picked up food processor when we went to fair. Once I was going to buy an air compressor from CL seller. Son was working a job close to seller. Everything looked perfect, then son took another job. Sent seller cash ($20), and told him I would have to make arrangements for pick up. Seller asked where I lived. He and his wife were going the next weekend to put flowers on her parents grave, and would pass within five miles of my house, so they delivered air compressor for free. One thing I have learned, if it in the middle of the night when they post ad, call right then. Once late at night a generic 15" 4 post planer popped up. I really didn't need it, but it was a GREAT price. Waited to next morning to call, and someone (fellow NC Woodworker,) who needed planer had already picked it up. Same with a 14" BS. Several times, I have seen DeVilbiss generators for sale, with leaking gas tank. Tank is only $175. Contact seller and have them check to see if it's covered by recall. Usually get a BIG THANKS reply from seller.

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks to all for your feedback. I felt a lot of empathy out there. I definitely resonate with a number of your points.

• It truly is a buyer/seller beware world out there, irrespective of whether you are using Craig's List, OfferUp or Letgo.
  • The anonymity of online transactions, and social media in general, has led to a much more callous approach to human interaction
  • I could have (and moving forward will):
    • asked for more clarification regarding the selling policy
    • picked it up sooner
  • He could have:
    • Told me that that the purchase was contingent on being first to arrive with the cash
    • Let me know that I was at risk because I was picking it up the next day
    • Reached out to me to see if I was willing to pay full price when he got a full price offer after accepting my offer

In any event, I appreciate the ethical standards which the members of this forum espouse.

zzdodge

New User
zz
I have been a buyer and seller. I got rid of most of my Craftsman power tools which were 30 to 45 years old through CL.

If someone tries to negotiate a price on the phone or wants me to hold something, I agree but with a time limit. Like within 12 hours. Can't remember a no show, but in my experience things sell.

The last Craftsman 3" belt sander was posted for $40, with lots of pictures and two belts. The guy was estatic as he blew out his, was in the middle of a flooring repair and wanted the exact same model.

I spent $10 more and bought a bit more used Makita 3" from eBay. A little clean up and I am really happy.

My neighbor sold his cabinet shop when he moved to Florida. It took about two weeks. He said he got good prices for everything except his unisaw which was the last item to go. $200. If I had known I probably would have bought it even though I have a PM66.

One final comment. I have bought allot of owned welding tanks on CL. Sometimes I need to get 6 or 10 at a time. I just remarket them on CL one or two at a time. The return is several hundred percent. That paid for my new multi-process welder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS