Garage steps and ramp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Queen

New User
Tom
Here it is my completed new steps (reused steps) and new ramp for our daughter. The contractor put in the steps and and I asked them to screw it together knowing I was going to do this project; but they didn't listened except for a couple steps so I could remove the base. The hand rails were stilled nails in the wall and must have used a ton of nails because nothing came free easily. This made a huge mess in the wall and the one riser on the steps. My wife and son were big help in tearing out and installing. My son did a lot of pilot drilling and some screwing. He even came up with the idea of using the stair rail spindles as the lip for the ramp. I bought some cheap cabinets and a nice cabinet top (really cheap) from Southeastern Salvage for the other corner to clean up the garage. Now we can park two cars in there. Yah... (We don't have two cars just a van and F250 is to big for garage)

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 273
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 281
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 280
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 283
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 272
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 268
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 269

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
Don't get me wrong, it looks great but that bad boy is steep. Code says a maximum of 1/12 pitch for a reason and even that is pushing it. 4 more feet, and she would never have made it to the top. A day when she's fatigued, she'll need help.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
While not ADA code compliant, many times form must meet function and not code. That ramp is the same slope as what I built for use with a transport chair and for that it works well. A lower slope ramp would not have fit at my house. So something was a whole lot better than nothing.

Nice job

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had to build something similar for use of a knee-scooter when the wife broke her foot. It probably wasn't exactly to code but worked for her and she appreciated it. Hopefully we won't need it ever again, but who knows. What works is more important than what is required. You did good.

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
The function is my complaint. I couldn't care less about the code. But once you understand why the code is what it is, you view wheelchair ramps AND their function totally different.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
ADA Codes were written for wheelchairs propelled by the user. Many people have assistance or motorized wheelchairs nowadays which will traverse this ramp easily. ADA was also written for access to public facilities and certain percentages of apartment rental units. I doubt there's an inspector in the world that would or could cite someone as a violation of code for any ramp they want to place in their own residence. It would be beyond arrogance to prohibit enabling people in this condition their ability to get about.
You go, guy...:icon_thum

Jeff

New User
Jeff
[video]https://youtu.be/A1jhGb7mg-Y[/video]

Hannah Grace is handling the new ramp just fine with little apparent effort under her own power.

I'm curious about the math for this ramp for general information. What is the rise and run from your measurements? I can't tell from your pics if it's too steep, not steep enough, or just right (read the Goldilocks principle).

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Don't get me wrong, it looks great but that bad boy is steep. Code says a maximum of 1/12 pitch for a reason and even that is pushing it. 4 more feet, and she would never have made it to the top. A day when she's fatigued, she'll need help.

Don't forget what was there before the ramp......just steps. Nice work Tom. Someday, I will get my garage cleaned out enough to get my car back in there......someday

I just watched the video......your "customer" seems happy with your work....that's all that matters. :thumbs_up

Tom Queen

New User
Tom
Hannah Grace is handling the new ramp just fine with little apparent effort under her own power.

I'm curious about the math for this ramp for general information. What is the rise and run from your measurements? I can't tell from your pics if it's too steep, not steep enough, or just right (read the Goldilocks principle).

The height is 18 inches at the deck and the length is 10' 5" or 125 inches. I calculated a 7 degree at the deck which should be a 83 degree at the floor. This is the math that a friend of mine and I talked about. I also did another math equation for the floor angle to make sure it worked and that was to measure from the end or width of the board see how much of the board i wanted to leave at point...found the measurement 5 1/4" then took the tape measure came down the board to where it measured 5 1/4" drew my line from that point to the end of the board sharpe point. Took framing square and it was pretty much on target of 83 degrees. The attached diagram is basically what i did to come up with angle for the floor. It worked for me and may not be right in some eyes but that was the first time figuring out an angle.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2762.jpg
    IMG_2762.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 155

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks good to me Tom. There is usually more than one way to successfully complete a project.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks Tom. Not to quibble but the trigonometry (18" rise, 125" run) gives an angle of 8.2 degrees (tangent 8.2 = 18/125) but that's of no consequence to your build and just fine for Hannah's everyday use. I had trouble following your other method. It's actually 8.2 at the floor and 81.8 at the deck.

Ramp.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors