garage insuatlion question

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
the walls i want to insulate are not facing any interior walls. If I don't plan on sheetwalling but to use pegboad instead. is it ok to use unfaced? I dont think there would be any moisture problems as the pegboard has plenty of holes in it.

thnx...Steve

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'd use faced unless you plan to use an alternate vapor barrier like Mylar foil or poly. Even though you may not plan on conditioning the air, temperature differences could cause moisture to migrate into the insulation & condense, creating mold. The pegboard hooks shouldn't dig into the facing, but I'd maybe smooth off the ends going into the board just to be sure. A vapor barrier that's poked full of holes isn't much good.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
dang, faced is about 3x more expensive than non faced.

Have another question then, is there anything special about facing paper? Is it possible to get that separate? or is the paper itself that expensive.

For some reason, I always thought that the cost difference was in bonding the insulation and the paper together.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
For some reason, I always thought that the cost difference was in bonding the insulation and the paper together.

It isn't that much of a cost to bond on. They use a thinned tar cement. That's what makes kraft faced insulation so combustible in the event of a fire. You could also use 4 mil poly stapled over the stud faces after the batts are installed. IMO, this is a superior installation process as it virtually eliminates drafts.
Ditto on the drywall behind the pegboard. I assume you already have it on the wall adjoining the house as is required by code.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
yeah, adjoining walls were done that way when the house was built. I decided not to get a finished garage so I could wire it up. Just never got around to finishing it up once I finished the wiring. Now I got so much stuff in the garage, its a major pain to finish the walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS