Gambrel Roof Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

quid_non

Wayne
Senior User
Greetings all -
Need some expert advice. LOML and me are building a "cozy" shack in the mountains of Virginia. Gonna be 20'x20'. I'm thinking of putting a Gambrel style roof on it to allow additional space for a loft /second story. Any suggestions about trusses vs stick built? Any other ideas to allow loft space I should consider??

Thanks for the help and advice!
Best
quid_non

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Clay, this would be gambrel style.
house7.jpg

Wayne, the only thing I've ever built with a gambrel roof was a barn. We made the trusses ourselves. I don't recall the exact dimensions but the trusses spanned about 28 feet and about 14 feet high. They were each made from 4 rough pine 2x6's with the intersections mitered and 1/2" plywood gussets nailed to both sides. We just laid out a basic jig on the floor and circular saw guide templates for the miter angles. It worked rather well, but it was all that 4 of us could do to set them up.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Gambrel & mansards allow you to capture under-roof space and provide a pleasing elevation as well. Do pour footers for a 2 story even if local code doesn't require. Sooner or later, someone will put in a pool table, hot tub and a grand piano!
I prefer trusses whenever they can be employed.

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
i built my mother in laws place in the back of my house with a gambrel useing factory made trusses. i am very pleased with the design.

if the building is to be ocupied, and a clear span is wanted below (no post or beams suporting the roof) factory made trusses are a must. if you make them yourself you would need an engineer to sign off on the design to pass inspection

be carefull in your desing to alow for required ceiling and staire way heights.

ps this one is 24 x 36 but i would be happy to show it to you if you would like (i'm about an hour south on rt 1)

the loft on my design was kept just slightly below code aolng the outside wall where the ceiling slopes, this allowed my to call the are "storage". this is cheaper on property taxes in my area.

stored in the loft is a compleat bed room set, living room set, and a small dining room table. making it a very comfortable 28x16 closets to store a guest or two in.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
In a recent Find Homebuilding, they did something I'd not seen before.

They sistered steel plates to the rafters. It allows you to open up the space without the overhead of trusses.

Jim

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Its really just more of a preference if you would like to stick build it, or order trusses. Typically pre made trusses tend to be cheaper. Also remember to check into the code a little. 2x (at least the bottom chord of the truss) trusses won't cut it for supporting weight as a "second story" or "storage."

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I used the term Trusses liberally here. What I mean in this case is actually manufactured rafters. Better precision and rigidity than those built on the site.

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
the trusses on th m-i-l's place did not include a bottom cord (floor joist). and the floor of the loft is framed with 2x8s with a bearing wall running down the center line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS