G1023sl table saw vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am visiting my in-laws for the night. My father inlaw asked me to check out his cabinet saw. It was making an unusual noise and had some vibration that he thought wasn't normal. We filled it on and the table had a constant slight vibration to it, and ther was a noise like a dull pulsation at a very high speed.
I checked the belts and they felt rather loose to me, but having never checked out the inner working of this saw I don't know if that is normal. How much slack should the tree belts have? Anyone know how to adjust the belt tension, the owners manual suggest checking the tension every month, but doesn't give any indication on how to adjust it once it's been checked. How loud should that saw be? The only sound you hear with my Griz contractor saw is the blade slicing the air, no motor sound or vibration:icon_scra

Thanks for any advice you can offer, we hope to get this resolved this weekend, he's got a lot of work to get done.
Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Dave,

If the saw's table has ever been removed and the position of the trunnion changed, then there is a possibility that the motor pulley and shaft pulleys are out of parallel. Likewise, the belts could be worn enough to a bit low on tension. Not the easiest things to check without pulling the table off, but those would be my top two choices -- when in doubt, have him contact Grizzly Customer Service (if they clarify the proper belt tension, please post it for others like me that own G1023S series saws).

Rob

Rob

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
On my cabinet saw, it recommends the belts be at the same tension as you would do your car, a 1/4" of deflection round abouts.

You should be able to get to what you need to without tearing the saw down through the motor cover. Check that the pulleys are in line and tight and make sure the arbor has no play would be the easier things to check. My .02.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
If saw haa been setting for a while, "clock" the belts. As they take a set, all three are in sync. with sets occuring at same time. Simply loosen motor and advance one belt about 1/4 and retard another the same. Also running machine for a few moments usually takes set out of belts as they warm up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS