Future Workshop Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Bill Clemmons has graciously extended the offer to use his shop for more workshops. I am open to the idea and look forward to contributing in any way I can.

So, what would you like to learn and/or what would you like to teach?

I know some of you have great skills in woodworking as well as communicating the methods and skills needed to enjoy wood working. Maybe you don't have the space or the tools to offer a workshop learning experience?

Well, here's your chance to step up and contribute to our community.

And if you have always wanted to learn by doing here is a chance to request a workshop.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Mike and Bill:

Great idea! A few months back Joe Scharle and I discussed doing something similar at my shop; I've been postponing it until I had more of the project backlog out of the way (and I'm getting close).

Ideas that Joe and I kicked around for hosting here would be a weekend class building some adirondack chairs, a class on building some jigs and fixtures (such as taper jigs, etc), and there is also the long postponed handscrew workshop that I'd like to get back on schedule.

Probably the main thing is to look at classes that can be held in 1 - 2 days, so that a complete project or instruction could be completed in a weekend.

Some class ideas that come to mind are a basic veneering workshop, how to build a 5 piece table legs with hidden seams (so that the grain wraps all of the way around the leg - Don Patterson knows how to do this if we could con him into teaching it), tips and tricks for machining coves with a tablesaw, a bandsaw alignment class. It would also be fun to do a class on building a trestle table - like the one that Tommy Mac built a while back on his program.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
When Mike and I discussed this last night, it was at the end of the third free sharpening seminar he conducted. Our thinking is that there is a lot of talent among NCWW members, and a workshop is a great way to pass that knowledge / talent on to those who would like to learn.

I don't have a specific talent to pass on, and I probably don't have the right personality to teach others, but I do have a fairly spacious shop located right in the center of NC. So the venue is my contribution to helping others learn a new skill. Scott is in the same situation w/ his large shop and fairly central location, especially being closer to Raleigh.

So who out there would like to share their talents w/ other NCWW members? It's not only a great way to learn something new, but also to spend some time w/ fellow woodworkers. :eusa_danc

Bill

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I'm impressed with the spirit of generosity on this list! You two are making a huge commitment with this proposal. I'm not on a level where I have anything to offer on the teaching side, but I'll try to get to workshops when you can schedule them.

Right now I'm more interested in how to get the most out of the resources I have. As I don't have a lathe or space for one that's off the list for now.

The sharpening workshops are definitely up my alley.
The spoon carving is one I would be interested in- my wife has a thing for wooden spoons
Finishing is another area where I have room for improvement, guessing I'm not alone there.
From what I've seen here, there are folks who could teach me a lot on that subject.
Jigs and fixtures are always of interest. I did recently make a scarfing jig for my router and added a vacuum assist (shopvac powered) to keep the feather ends from chattering, worked like a champ.

I could go on and on. I hope this idea takes hold and look forward to learning from you all in person as well as here.

Thanks in advance for the generous offer of time, space and experience.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors