"Fulton" Dado @ peachtree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

New User
Robert
Peachtree Woodworking E-Direct Special

Don't know anything about Fulton, anyone know anything/experience about this brand. The setup looks very similar to Freuds.

Price sounds good if you use/need a dado.

fulton_Landing-Page2_2012.jpg

manfre

New User
Manfre
I'm also interested in know more about this stacked dado set. I don't have one and haven't been willing to shell out the $100+ to get one. For $55 + shipping, I would be willing.

M

McRabbet

I suspect "You will get what you pay for" in terms of quality. I have a Freud SD608 8" Stacked dado set that I bought about 6 years ago and I suspect I've made several thousand lineal feet of dados on my 10" cabint saw. It still cuts sharp edges, flat bottoms and the mating lumber or plywood fits snugly every time. Never been sharpened. I paid about $165 for it and it is worth every penny. Hope for your sake the "Fulton" is worth it; I've never heard of the brand in my many years of woodworking. By the way, I don't work for Freud, but I insist on buying quality.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I didn't run across the Fulton earlier this year when I was scouring the web for reviews of affordable dado sets. If you buy it, we'd like to hear about it (if you lived closer, we could do a direct comparison test).

I'll offer my review of the Delta/Dewalt dado set from earlier this year. It has received good reviews on other forums as well. I was just using it again yesterday and I am still very pleased with the performance. Going price today is about $105.

DanR

New User
Dan
the two outer blades do not have many teeth it was weird

I have the dewalt 8" set and it works good same as the Delta branded one now

also this might be a good option so far I have been happy with the other blade I bought that is this brand
http://www.amazon.com/Oshlun-SDS-08...sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326528058&sr=8-1-spell

I am planning to buy the Oshlun 8". If you are a member at woodnet then Holbren has it for about $80 (woodnet discount and free shipping)

Oshlun 8" 42T Dado Set 5/8" Arbor - Holbren

DanR

New User
Dan
We should get Holbren to advertise and support this site.... I have bought stuff from them before they seem to be good people

I agree, in fact sometimes I don't even take the discount since he is such a good guy. One time a month or two ago I had ordered a new blade for my table saw. He called to apologize that he was out of stock on that blade and wanted to know if he could substitute a better one. He sent me a $65 blade and I had only paid for a $40 one.

I really like that his shipping is realistic, I ordered a couple of router bits on Friday. The shipping charge was only $1.95, many other places would have charged $8.00.

Last edited:
I agree, in fact sometimes I don't even take the discount since he is such a good guy. One time a month or two ago I had ordered a new blade for my table saw. He called to apologize that he was out of stock on that blade and wanted to know if he could substitute a better one. He sent me a $65 blade and I had only paid for a $40 one.

I really like that his shipping is realistic, I ordered a couple of router bits on Friday. The shipping charge was only $1.95, many other places would have charged $8.00.

Totally these are the companies to support and help grow.....

Robert

New User
Robert
I've searched and so far this is all I've learned:
About Fulton Woodworking Tools and Accessories

I can only presume it's a new upstart company in Atlanta, GA. Looks to offer a few items based on the website photos. One can only guess as to where the products are manufactured. The info indicates they test and design in Atlanta, but nothing about manufaturing.

If anyone trys out the Dado, I'd like to know how well it performs.

Thanks
Robert

I can only presume it's a new upstart company in Atlanta, GA. .

Thanks Robert..... I bet I know what it is.... I bet it is the name of a house brand for peachtree afterall they were the ones selling it and they are in Georgia.... so I bet it is something peachtree has manufactured or got a good deal on for themselves... we should have thought about sooner

ehpoole

Ethan

I can only presume it's a new upstart company in Atlanta, GA. Looks to offer a few items based on the website photos. One can only guess as to where the products are manufactured. The info indicates they test and design in Atlanta, but nothing about manufaturing.

Having just read their "About" page, I am hoping that their attention to details is greater than their attention to spelling and grammar. After all, they only misspelled their Company Name twice in just 3 paragraphs.

We all make our share of spelling and grammar mistakes from time to time (and God knows I make my share when posting.. enough to make me cringe at times) but extra care should always be taken on a company's website and obvious errors should be promptly corrected because they do cast an unfavorable light.

Personally, I own both the Freud SD508 and the SD608 dado blades sets and I would not consider the Fulton's to be at all comparable other than the fact that they are all 'stacking dado sets'. Beyond that distinction the Freud dado sets offer considerably more cutting teeth (on both outside blades and chippers) and are very likely of a higher quality carbide material as well.

secondo

New User
Hugh
Not exactly cheap, but the Dadonator from Infinity is a great stacked Dado, too, and can be cheaper than the freud sd608 (depending on which one is on what kind of sale). It won FWW's best value prize a few years back. Even on sale though I don't think you will ever find it anywhere close to $100, not to mention $55. The fact that their best value was not cheap makes me guess that the above prediction that on some level you get what you pay for is probably right although that is a hunch not based on using the inexpensive one.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Fulton County Stadium, home of the Braves. Peach Tree's in house brand of router bits is Stone Mountain. Anybody see a connection here? For about $100, you can get either the Delta / DeWalt, Freud SD 208, or CMT set from Lowes, all of which are are much better set. Remember you get what you pay for! The post office again has moving packets with Lowes 10% off coupons inside (hint, hint!)

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
I'm going to second what Rob and Bruce have already stated ,You will get what you pay for and you probably won't be able to get what you pay for it when you decide it was not the answer. My Freud stacked set was 11 years old when I sold it ,and the only reason I sold it was because I bought a 12" Grizzly TS that has a 1" arbor.If you guys think $100+ is alot then you better not price a 10" or 12" stacked set,that would really kill you. You will spend the difference you save trying to get it resharpened more often than the good quality sets.
Greg

ehpoole

Ethan
Not exactly cheap, but the Dadonator from Infinity is a great stacked Dado, too, and can be cheaper than the freud sd608.

For price comparison, the SD508 is a more appropriate choice. The SD608 is Freud's Dial-a-Dado (which uses a threaded hub 'dial' to adjust dado width rather than individual shims). As onr might imagine, the SD608 is a good deal more expensive than the SD508.

If you are looking to save some money on a good quality dado set, consider investing in a good quality 6" stacked dado set rather than a cheap 8" stacked dado. Since most dado work is fairly shallow, a 6" dado set will suffice for nearly all needs (unless you are using a crosscut sled with a very thick bottom (>1/2"), in which case there might be some special cases where a 6" dado set might not be deep enough).

GeorgeM

New User
George
I have one of their miter gages that they manufacture themselves. I love it and it is similar to the Wood Haven and is dead nuts accurate.

And a fence will fit square to it not like my Incra that is now in the cabinet.

Have a Blessed day.

George

manfre

New User
Manfre
Peachtree does not send out products for testing/reviews. Can't blame me for trying. I may have been able to convince them, ideas forwarded to a manager, to contact some of the people who did purchase the dado to put up some sort of review or youtube videos showing the product in action. The 12 teeth outer blades seems like it wouldn't cut very cleanly and for the price point, I'd rather skip the sale and buy a publicly proven dado for a little bit more money without the gambling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS