From barn to box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
About a week or so before Christmas I had a customer bring me a old gray barn board and ask me to make him two boxes from it if I could. The board was from a barn on the old family farm down around Dillon, SC. He wanted the boxes for some of his father or grandfather's war medals that he was passing on to his children. The following was the result of about two hours work. My only reqret is that I didn't take a pic of the board before I started. You'll just have to imagine a gray weathered board.
DSC_0425.JPG

The wood turned out to be some very red, tight grained heart pine. Box size was approx. 5" x 10". Top and sides milled to 3/8" and the bottom to 1/4". Box joints, beveled top, natural color with lacquer clear coat.
The piece of wood behind them is what I had left over. On projects like this you never know what you will have to work with, esp with a very limited amount of wood. I was pleased and more importantly the customer was pleased.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Robert, you did that piece of wood proud. Those are beautiful. I really like old heart pine. Those will be a treasure for your customer's children. I fine way to preserve a piece of family history.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Robert, great job - :icon_thum I love the way pine looks - It was a good idea on the customers part to preserve the wood from the old family barn to pass on to his children:eusa_clap

FuzzWuzz16

New User
Jim Fossler
Very nice job, Robert!
Every time I see or work with heart pine, I really enjoy it. You've done a wonderful job on the boxes!
Jim

T

toolferone

Those are beautiful!! That wood, WOW!

Only 2 hours, now you are making us all look bad.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Those are beautiful!! That wood, WOW!

Only 2 hours, now you are making us all look bad.

Tom,
That was applied time. Had to wait on the yellow glue in the box joints to dry. 2 Hours was about an hour longer than I wish it took. I just can't make any money on these small non-production items. I stack cut all the box joints with a Freud box cutter on the table saw which helped expedite them.

Sully,
The tops are hinged.

Rob

bwat

New User
Bill
Ditto...love the grain & color of this pine! Good job on the boxes too!:eusa_clap
The history must add a level of added satisfaction for you too.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
:widea: Has anyone memtioned how good the boxes look? :icon_cheers

The customer probably had no idea that old barn could ever look that good.
Well done, my good fellow.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Hey Rob! You did an excellent job! I would have expected nothing less. You should have asked to be paid for that project with some more of those boards! Sure is some pretty wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS