Freud Router mini-gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
I was walking through the lowes at 40/42 the other day to pick up some materials for the booth I'm building at my brothers (post to follow) and I came across they're last Freud router on clearance $100. It was the display model and did not have the 1/4" collet, or the wrench. After several minutes of staring at it trying to decide if it was worth emptying my bank account, I took it.

Shop-9.jpg

Got to the register, and had the cashier convinced to knock a little more off the price, but she had to call a manager over to override the price. Manager said nope. Oh well, I took it anyway.

Got back to the shop, and I was ready to round off the leading adge of the seats on the booth. Pulled out the brand new 3/4" radius round over bit and realized that it would not fit through the base plate of my PC router. Took me a little while to remember that I had just bought another router. Looked at it and sure enough that big ole' bit fit right through.

On first use, this is a nice router. At it's slowest speed, it is very quiet. Ultimately this router will get mounted in a table, but for now I'm happy I had it free to use by hand.

I was going to put in a post about the booth, and it's progress, but the wife is making me go to the fair, so it'll have to wait.

Matt

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Nice score. I would bet that you could contact their customer service and get the missing collet and wrench at no charge.

You Rock, that was a nice deal!!!

G_ville_worker

New User
Bryan
Good score. I have the same router but I paid the full price last summer. I wonder why Lowes is selling off all of their Freud stuff? The biscuit jointer I bought last summer also is half price. Trying to debate every time I walk buy if I need the hand planer that is about $60.

I have the router mounted in my table also. Got the plate from Rockler.

Bryan

illegalsmile

New User
Jeff
I purchased that router on clearence at Lowes as well. I just completed building this: (Ok.. not complete. My switch had not come in when I took the picture !)

Wood001.jpg

Wood005-1.jpg

To mount it in.... and its a GREAT addition to my shop.

Enjoy !

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Jeff,

Very nice table. I still haven't decided if I am going to build a dedicated table or sink it into the extension on my table saw. I'm leaning toward the table saw. I think even if I sink it into the table saw I will build a similar dust collection setup to what you show.

Matt

PS. The fair was about as much fun as I expected it to be. I personally HATE the fair. Not so much the fair, but the crowds. My son had a great time. He was simply amazed with all of the "free stuff" they were giving away. Filled a bag to the top with crap. He thought the armored personell carrier was pretty neat too. Man that was a tight fit at 6'3"!!!

img211.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jeff, that looks great and quite functional too. Did you use a Nahm type plan or just wing it? I'm diggin' the laminate, pretty funky stuff:icon_thum:icon_thum

Dave:)

G_ville_worker

New User
Bryan
Nice table. I built mine and jumped into a couple of projects. Haven't had a chance to make the drawers and doors yet.

In Lowes yet again today and I saw there was a new model Freud biscuit jointer. The body looked just like the old one except it had one of those fences on it that adjust with the knob on the side. It was also marked Avanti. Maybe Freud is revamping their line.

B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors