Freud Premier Adjustable Rail and Stile Router Bit - ISSUES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semmons23

New User
Steve
This isn't so much a review (YET) as a post looking for anyone using this router bit system. I bought this to make 8 Doors for a built in bookshelf and I got all the rails done and on about the 14th stile I noticed I was missing the profile on the outside edge. At first I assumed the router had moved down in the table but on furthur examination the two "wing" cutters has slipped and one of the carbide teeth was now on top of the other wing. Not sure how this messed up the edge profile but obviously it messed up the width of the groove. I fixed it and completed the other 2-3 pieces - luckily I made extras so the 3 that got screwed up didn't mess me up too much.

After closer examination when I changed to put the rail (tenon) cutter in I realized that the carbide that slid on top of the other cutter chipped nearly in half. What's strange about the whole thing is that the wings have indexes that should go over keys to prevent them from spinning but the shaft doesn't have any keys.

Additionally, the back side of the rail "tenons" is too long so the gap won't close when I put the doors together. Basically, the blade on the top cutter is too small (or the bearing in the middle is too big). I'd say its probably off by .020" but that's a guess. I'll have to trim the height of the rear wall of the groove or reduce the shoulder on the tenon to make it fit - ***!

Anyone else use this and have issues?

http://www.freudtools.com/t-PremierRailandStile.aspx

ehpoole

Ethan
You should get in touch with user Toolferone (Tom Ferone). He does the demos for Freud throughout our region and has demonstrated the adjustable rail and stile bit sets in the past.

I'm sure he can help with any questions you may have regarding this product.

blazeman45

New User
Steve
I have a set and had a great deal of problem getting them dialed in with the spacers. After numerous setups I managed to get them right and they work great. As for the wing cutter moving I do not know... Tom will most likely chime in here and give you a hand. He contacted me right away and was more than willing to help. Good luck!

Semmons23

New User
Steve
I contacted Freud and while the say they've never heard of it they agreed to replace the set. Have to decide now if I'll keep it or return the replacement. I'm just not sure I trust that it will not slip in the future. I can't understand why they didn't put keys on the shaft to stop them from spinning.

So far I think the idea is great but the execution stinks.

ehpoole

Ethan
I contacted Freud and while the say they've never heard of it they agreed to replace the set. Have to decide now if I'll keep it or return the replacement. I'm just not sure I trust that it will not slip in the future. I can't understand why they didn't put keys on the shaft to stop them from spinning.

So far I think the idea is great but the execution stinks.

Ordinarily there is no slippage of stacked cutters in routine use unless the assembly is inadequately tightened before use and after adjustment. When properly torqued you should be able to stall the router before any of the cutters would have slipped (without the need for keys). Just think in terms of dado sets, there is no key required to hold the individual cutters in alignment and they will not slip relative to one another unless the arbor nut was inadequately tightened (and/or possibly the saw as a whole stalled under load) -- the same is true for stacked cutters in a router bit.

Obviously I can't rule out a defective kit without seeing it, but from your description it really sounds like the most probable issue was an inadequately torqued assembly. There can also be issues with new bit sets if (where applicable) the manufacturer's protective oil or grease coatings are not first removed from all the assemblies before first use.

Still, I would encourage you to contact Toolferone for followup. Tom knows these products inside out and can talk you through any questions or concerns you may have -- he's also a really nice guy so don't hesitate to PM him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS