Freshly turned purpleheart and CA...

Status
Not open for further replies.

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
Hey guys. Maybe a dumb question, but here goes: Will CA prevent purple heart from turning purple? I am thinking it won't but I am not 100% sure. Thanks!

Glennbear

Glenn
Since purpleheart turns dark from exposure to UV light and CA does not contain UV blockers I would think it would have no effect. :wsmile:

TBone

Tommy
Senior User
I won't stop it, but in my case (on pens) it slowed it slightly. But just put the purpleheart back in sunlight and it will "purple" back up.

ehpoole

Ethan
I won't stop it, but in my case (on pens) it slowed it slightly. But just put the purpleheart back in sunlight and it will "purple" back up.

I wanted to expand on the above. I have never turned Purpleheart, but I have built several projects from Purpleheart. I have on hand several different Purpleheart species ranging from the typical reddish-brown with a purple hue to absolutely brilliant purple. While some species of Purpleheart are UV activated, others are Oxygen activated or some combination of each. Some will only turn purple if exposed to bright sunlight (or Fluourescent), others will turn purple in a pitchblack room due to oxygen exposure, while still others need some combination of the two to achieve the best possible purple.

My favorite Purpleheart came from Atlanta Hardwoods and is just an absolutely brilliant purple that has not shifted from its original purple in the 3 years I have had it. I keep wishing that I had bought more of it, so I guess I'll have to make a return visit one of these days.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS