Free Black Forest Clock - some assembly required

karlkoch

New User
Karl
This Black Forest Clock has been in the family for 3 generations. However a few pieces have broken off (I think that i have all the pieces) and I agreed to work on it as a project...about 15 years ago. It's clear that I am not motivated. So it is free to someone in the NCWW that wants a clock project. The works seem to be intact and the two "cuckoo" bellows work. I live near New Bern and I really don't want to pack/ship it. I am willing to drive a bit if that will help. Send me a message if interested.

Attachments

• Clockback.jpg
    Clockback.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 139
  • clockfront.jpg
    clockfront.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 137

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Several years ago, I visited one of our suppliers in Wattens Austria (near Innsbruck). I rode with my host through the black forest th Frieburg Germany. Btw much of the ride was at over 250 km/he on the autobahn. We stopped for lunch in the middle ilof the black forest and there was a craft gallery next door. It is amazing how intricate and the level of variance in the pieces. It was quite amazing the workmanship in the area. Based on the pieces there must be quite a variance in the type of trees in the area. I had another 10 days of travel so I did not purchase anything as I did not want the added weight in my luggage.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
When I was a kid we lived in Germany. My father worked for the State Department and was assigned to the U.S. embassy in Bonn. He bought a number of things while we were there including a Cuckoo clock kit.

At some point he tried to assemble it. The instructions were in German and it had a large number of parts and he never finished it. It went back into the box and ended up getting buried in the back of the hall closet.

I found it a few years later when I was 10 and was fascinated by it. I knew some German but not well enough to follow the instructions. I put it together mostly from the pictures in the instructions and trial and error. It worked.

My dad was horrified and proud at the same time. It still works nearly six decades later and is on the wall at my brother's house. I enjoyed building it but never liked its loud ticking so I had no use for it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors