Found wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I never throw any wood out until I can no longer get into the shop. Recently I've had to clean up "a little" and ran across 2 pieces of undressed 2X4s that I had salvaged from a packing crate. I ran one piece thru the planner out of courisioty and saw it was spalted QS sycamore (I think). After resawing I came up with enough to build this little table. The bottom is walnut from the scrap bin and its finished with Minwax Antique Oil and wax. Somes times it pays to be a pack rat.

Attachments

• 100_0284.jpg
    100_0284.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 171
  • 100_0285.jpg
    100_0285.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 177
  • 100_0286.jpg
    100_0286.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 166

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Wow...that is really pretty...the wood and the table. Both compliment each other well!!! Very nice job!

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Great table. I really like the way you did the legs. Do you have a plan for it or did you just wing it?

pete

J

jeff...

I think your suspicions are correct, that indeed looks like American Sycamore to me. really nice looking hall table.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Pete, The legs are loosely based on plans in Wood mag. sometime back. I altered them a bit to fit the size of the stock I had.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Apparently it pays to be a pack rat and a craftsman :icon_thum
An impressive piece of woodwork by any standard!

Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Larry you're not allowed to post any more pictures :-D . I thought that I could make nice things out of wood. But after seeing the things you make, even out of scrap pallet wood, I've come to the conclusion that I pretty much suck (and not in a good new tool way)
So please spare what is left of my ego and keep your beautiful works of art to yourself :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am just kidding, of course, you are an inspiration, and I hope to be as good as you one day.

Dave:)

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Wow, scrap lumber! I need someone to drop some scrap lumber like that in my garage.

tv

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Well, I have never found any pallet wood so nice as that.

Nice wood, very nice workmanship, as usual. I like it.

Chuck

J

jeff...

I'm really starting to wonder if I shouldn't spalt some sycamore logs, due to the extermly high MC of green sycamore, 150% by weight, sycamore it's a supper easy spalter. Actually a bit to easy, after researching it I found that most lumber companies will only saw sycamore (and other white wood) in the winter months, because left green in the right conditions it's prone to mold stain (spalting). But it seems folks really like the multidimensional QS grain and fungus trails left by our spalting organism friends. So I'm really considering a late summer early fall, spalted sycamore lumber run. Only on problem with spalting, it's pretty rough on the guy sawing the logs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors