Formica sheets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
In the past I have glued up plywood sheets about 4' square and covered one face with formica. I use this platform for glue up work. Drips just pop off even when it is dry. I gave it away to someone thinking I could just make another.

Fast Forward: No more formica sheets at HD or Lowes. The folks at the stores told me there just isn't much demand for that material anymore.

Any suggestions in the Ral/Dur area?

Maybe something different?

Dan
1-10_fb_2018_014.JPG

My roll around work surface is getting heavy use these days​

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dan,
what about taking a piece of 1/4" hardboard and waxing the smooth side so stuff doesn't stick?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I found 1 HD that carried the 4x8' sheets in very limited colors. I think it was the one in Apex but might have been the one at crossroads. This was several years ago so a phone call would be in order to verify they still carry them. But you're right - even then they were hard to find anymore. Maybe a cabinet shop would have some.

As to alternatives - those Phenolic Faced Plywood sheets would work but are awfully pricey. Maybe you can find a better source than this:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/...21f469702d06760016d0,5764230869702d3baa002556

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
A few years back I found an ad on CL from Russwood Library Furniture in Raleigh, near Wake Tech on 401. They were clearing out a bunch of old patterns that they no longer used. There were big piles of the stuff that they were selling cheap.

Might be worth a call or email to see if they have anything they are trying to get rid of.
(800) 792-0253
info@russwood.net

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
last time I bought some it was from the Habitat for Humanity thrift store.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Try web-don
Web-Don in Raleigh has their good and bad days. Some days I can walk in and get what I need and others they tell me to go thru a third party, which used to be HD. Now HD orders from a company in NJ. Wurth stocks laminate. I have a couple rolls that have been rolled up for several YEARS, so they would have to be unrolled, and ironed flat which will take some time. I also have at least one sink cut out (butcher block pattern.) Price is free, FOB Apex.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was at a workshop at Charlie's yesterday. He used a piece of safety glass to do his glue ups. It appears to be from an old glass tip table.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've also just taken a piece of MDF and wrapped it in freezer wrap and taped it on the back side with blue tape. Makes a great surface for glue-ups. Can be easily refreshed if it gets torn. Freezer wrap works better than waxed paper for the purpose.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Go to a counter shop and ask if you can dumpster dive. They often have large sheets that are not quite large enough for a counter that they will let go for free. Sometimes I've had to remove old adhesive, but that was easy with some acetone and a rag.

PhilCK

Phil
Corporate Member
Purchased a Wilsonart beige white 4x8 sheet from HD online a year or two ago for just the same thing. Even with shipping (might have been free as over the threshold), was a good price. But not at local brick and mortar HD stores.

Last edited:

Skymaster

New User
Jack
sheet of good ole mcp any borg. Melamine coated particle board, 24 x 8 or 48 x 8 Inexpensive,durable, coated both sides. :gar-Bi:gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS