Flush Trim Router Bit question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claus

Claus
User
I've recently gotten a new router and I'm starting to collect some bits. In particular, I'm looking for a flush trim bit and have a few questions.
There seem to be several variations and size combinations, how do you match the size for a particular use? I'm looking for one with the bearing on the shank end to use when following a template. What's a good all-around width and length for the cutter? I realize that I could get different sizes for specific applications (various depths of cut,etc) but would rather start with something multipurpose, if there is such a thing. What would be 'too small' or 'too big' for a given application ? Some are labeled for use with a plunge router and some with a table, what's different with those ?
The first use would likely be to route out a space to add the plate to a new router table that I'm building.

Thanks for any advice you could give me,

Claus

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
There are four things to consider:
Size of the bearing. Large bearings will not follow tight curves/ edges
Length of the bit: If you're using a flush trim bit to clean up a thick (3") tapered leg, you need a long bit
Location of the bearing: A bearing at the bottom is (usually) called a flush trim bit, a bearing at the top a pattern bit. Some bits allow for either a top or bottom bearing.
Type of cutter: There are two, three and four flute cutters, angled cutters, solid carbide cutters etc.

I'd start off with a good flush trim bit with a 1" length cutter and 1/2" bearing. Whiteside and Freud make excellent bits. You'l use this bit a lot, so get a high quality one - you don't want that project you've been working on for two weeks be ruined in half a second because of tearout.

I have one with a 2" cutter, and a bad boy like that is best used in a router table.

For small trim routers, you'll need a bit with a 1/4" shank. But assuming your router can handle 1/2" shanks, get those whenever possible.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Bas, is correct but I think for your first bit of this type you should get one with 2 bearings; both removable, i.e.:

topbot.jpg
These are from MLCS, but others sell them as well.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bt_flush.html

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User

Claus

Claus
User
Ok, got some goodies ordered and on the way. Thank you all for your input and good advice.

Claus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS