Flocking?

joec

joe
User
I am building a glass top display table for my golf pro buddy. He wants the bottom (12"X 57") to be a green color. I do not want to attempt putting down the adhesive backed sheets so am looking at spraying on the felt. Anybody here with experience on this? So far I see a Donjer Flocking kit.

John Jimenez

JJ
Corporate Member
I’ve done inside of foldable chessboards with green felt, spray contact cement, and a roller. Always seems to come out nice.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Klingspor's has the supplies you need (Search). It's really very simple to do. Get the tube, then match the undercoat with the flock color. Brush on the undercoat, use the tube to spread the flock, wait for it to dry and shake off the excess.

A couple of pointers... 1) put the project in a box or other container so you can easily recover the excess flock and contain it while you're spreading, and 2) don't be afraid to use too much flock. You recover the excess so it's not wasted.

Have fun and post pictures!

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
The only issue I had was when I taped it off, I was only doing the bottom of a jewelry box, I used regular blue tape to mask instead of the Sharpe line blue tape. The regular blue tape has a grain and the adhesive can wick up behind it. It's not hard to get off but it is a pain.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
3M 90 spray adhesive, can’t go wrong, Lay it in place, fold half of it over, spray adhesive on both, work it back with a smoothing card, fold the other half and repeat.

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
I am building a glass top display table for my golf pro buddy. He wants the bottom (12"X 57") to be a green color. I do not want to attempt putting down the adhesive backed sheets so am looking at spraying on the felt. Anybody here with experience on this? So far I see a Donjer Flocking kit.
With all due respect to fellows who are happy with flocking I cannot agree. I used it, or tried, for years and found it was not durable and the color faded after a few years of even light use. After some experimentation I settled on fitting some thin poster board to the bottom as it is easy to cut/trim the paper until it fits perfectly then attaching felt to the paper using spray adhesive or using the adhesive backed felt then using white glue to the paper & bottom. The felt + paper gives a “thickness” feel that cannot be achieved with flocking since the thickness of flocking is limited to what sticks to the glue. Just my experience and maybe I was not doing the flocking correctly. I will be happy to give anyone who wants it my leftover flocking as I will never use it.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
With all due respect to fellows who are happy with flocking I cannot agree. I used it, or tried, for years and found it was not durable and the color faded after a few years of even light use. After some experimentation I settled on fitting some thin poster board to the bottom as it is easy to cut/trim the paper until it fits perfectly then attaching felt to the paper using spray adhesive or using the adhesive backed felt then using white glue to the paper & bottom. The felt + paper gives a “thickness” feel that cannot be achieved with flocking since the thickness of flocking is limited to what sticks to the glue. Just my experience and maybe I was not doing the flocking correctly. I will be happy to give anyone who wants it my leftover flocking as I will never use it.
I concur with the technique cited by @mike_wood. I've done the same.

Last edited:

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Flocking works fine, I don't know about the durability as I've only used it in boxes so there's no sunlight to degrade it. I'd suggest before assembly, lay out felt upside down ( if there is a wrong side?), spray it and the bottom and lay the bottom over the felt so you don't get any wrinkles. Clamp the felt down so it doesn't move but don't stretch it. If already assembled, you can use stiff cardboard and subsequently glue the cardboard to the bottom.

joec

joe
User
I see you have to paint on the color and that is also the glue. I hear it has about 15 minutes of open time, so with such a big piece, I guess I have to apply the glue very quickly to have time to apply the flocking material.

joec

joe
User
As to the durability, my golf pro buddy will put his golf memorability items into the case as soon as it goes into his house, and that will probably be it for moving things around, so I think the flocking will work for him.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I always try to get something at least 1/8” thick (polyester), otherwise you can practically see through the cheaper stuff.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
If you buy premium felt, it's typically close to 1/8" thick and 100% polyester. I've had some black material I used for speaker boxes in my car for 5+ years with no noticeable fading. I did not find it at many fabric stores. I got mine at the following:

This place had the highest quality, but most expensive:

This place has some premium felt at decent prices, but limited premium colors:

Joann's has some premium felt, but I thought it was lower quality than the others:

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
I have used pool table felt several times and it comes in many colors. It is also designed to be glued down.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS