Floating Menu in Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Well, I've done about all I can do with it before I leave later, going to florida to visit Mother. I'll be back next wednesday sometime.

While I'll probably get on line most mornings and evenings, I will not be able to do any work on the menu, becuase it requires a special software tool.

So during this time period I would ask that you play with it a bit and post your criticisms and suggestions in this thread. That way when I get back I'll be able to finish it up.

There are still a few things to add in the main part of the menu and I don't know how pratical it will be to use the search dialog boxes in this format.

Monty, if you have time and the desire, feel free to play with it. All the files necessary are in the directory /float_menu.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Right off the bat I will say that it doesn't recess back in far enough. It overlaps the thread text box.

Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
It's probably just me and my giant font???

untitled.jpg
:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

BTW that just took me 30 minutes to get right :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
No I was using the NCWW Default style. With the test style it's just fine. Another case of user error :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

Monty

New User
Monty
Dude! What kind of font settings are you using on that machine?!?!? :lol: You know, you can change the font display size to "Largest" if you want, but it does NOT affect the font size in the posts & threads. This font size stays the same. From the appearance of your screenshot, I bet you have your text size setting at probably larger or largest, right? That helps with other web sites but has no affect on these forums. The only font that changes is the size of the text in that floating menu, and the size of the text in the random photos box.

Monty

New User
Monty
Steve, I have one suggestion to make for the menu. I can appreciate what you're trying to do with the alt text blocks, but it gets in the way. For example, if you hover over "User Settings" the alt text pops up that says "View and edit all of your personal settings". That information is repetitive and redundant, and the box covers part of the menu that flies out. I know it's just a personal preference, but the menu has enough movement without the alt text popping up all over the place... :p

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dude! What kind of font settings are you using on that machine?!?!? :lol: You know, you can change the font display size to "Largest" if you want, but it does NOT affect the font size in the posts & threads. This font size stays the same. From the appearance of your screenshot, I bet you have your text size setting at probably larger or largest, right? That helps with other web sites but has no affect on these forums. The only font that changes is the size of the text in that floating menu, and the size of the text in the random photos box.

With the giant 8-O monitor I got from Steve I had to increase some setting so pages looked right.
I am running Extra Large Fonts on a 1600x1200 pix screen with DPI settings at 120 (125% norm). And stufff still looks tiny 8-O

M

McRabbet

Steve, I agree completely with Monty's observation on the Mouse-over tips being redundant and obstructing views of the sub-menus. In addition, I found that the neither of the Search Functions for Members work (entering a name or clicking Advanced Search) -- both just take you to the Members list. Maybe this is one of the functions you didn't finish....

Otherwise, I like it (even if it doesn't chide one of our members like DaveO or Woodguy1975!!).

Rob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Try setting your screen resolution to 800x600 see how you like that?

That makes it very grainy. I think that this monitor has to be run at the finest setting to be worth while. It's one of Steve's old ones.
BTW, with the proper style choosen, the menu is fine, and I like the pic on the monitor with the setting bumped up some

cskipper

Cathy
I agree that the mouse-over info blocks the extended menu that also appears. I also agree that it doesn't rib Dave, or the newer addition of John (how'd he replace Dave on the default menu? Boy, be without the internet by one day and .. :lol: )

Can you add a New Posts link to it?

Last edited:

Monty

New User
Monty
New posts link is there (under "Forum"), but you have to take an extra second to get to it. I would rather see it in the first level.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I've been on the road for the last several days and my access to the site was very limited.:-( I missed most of this conversation but the floating menu is working fine on my system. I do like the menu items... and while I can no longer get a beer, the tool upgrades are pretty cool.

Ray

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Great feedback everyone, thanks. All will be done when I get back.

One thing I wondered about was the search dialog boxes. Assuming, I fix the member's one, are they really useful. I find them hard to use. If I don't keep the mouse pointer just right, they fly back before I can type in them. Anyone else having that problem?

Also, everyone should know that every aspect of these menus is customizable very easily. for instance, the time needed to hover before they fly out. the speed of the flyout even the effect of the flyout. The amount of time after the mouse leaves the menu before the flyin, etc. etc. So don't don't be afraid to criticize anything. Even not bothing with it.:lol:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
One thing I wondered about was the search dialog boxes. Assuming, I fix the member's one, are they really useful. I find them hard to use. If I don't keep the mouse pointer just right, they fly back before I can type in them. Anyone else having that problem?
Bump. I really need feedback about this issue please:eusa_pray

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Steve, I like it as it is set up. One of the issues I had with the other floating menu is that it would flyout if you got anywhere near it. Now you have to pause the mouse on it for a bit to get it to flyout. I have no problem with entering text into the search function.I find that I use the photo gallery, and home link a lot. I like how the gallery link opens in another window (that's my prefered way of posting pics) but it could take you to your album when you click on "view your photos" instead of the alphabetical album listing.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
but it could take you to your album when you click on "view your photos" instead of the alphabetical album listing.
I intended it that way, but it appears I used a URL that couldn't be resolved. I'll try and fix that when I get back.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
It is very hard for me to use. Way too fast moving. But if you slow down any then the other menus will be too slow.

No more than I search I would rather scroll up to the top menu.
I'm pretty sure I can slow just that part down without slowing down the rest.

Monty

New User
Monty
Steve, when I use that search feature in the floating menu, it does the search and logs me out. I'm at work so I did not check "remember me" when I logged in. I did it twice with the same result. Quick search from the Navbar link does not do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS