Flea market find / gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Happened to be in Raleigh today and stopped by the Capitol Blvd. flea mkt. and while strolling around, I spied this:

I asked the fellow "how much" and he said $5.00 and naturally, I jumped on it like a fly on a $urd. It will need some clean up and a couple of missing screws but I tried it out and believe me, it cuts like new. I checked on line and a new one like this retails for over $300.00 so I think I did ok.

Now you are thinking, what is he going to use that for? Well, for those who have done any amount of veneering, the answer will become obvious. For others, I will use it to trim veneers to length / width. It will sure beat a straight edge and a razor knife. The base is 24" x 24" so it has a lot of working surface. Anyway, enjoy.

Mike

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You are a flea market king!!! For a second, I thought you were going to show pictures of another patternmakers vise.

Nice haul Mike. They are nice, and they are not cheap that is for sure.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Nice find.Man I didn't know those things cost so much. I've got one it's not as big as yours.Size don't matter. I think mine is 18x18.

J

jeff...

You can do a real chop job with that thing , just watch you fingers there.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
A hand operated chop saw-wow! I use one to cut aluminum flashing when building blue bird houses. Paid a couple of bucks at a flea market, or thrift store.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Oh, forgot to add that while we were in one of the thrift stores, a lady was talking to my wife about some chairs she was contemplating buying and was concerned about whether they were worth the asking price or not. My wife told her that I am in the "business" and she asked me to look them over and advise her before purchasing. Well I looked them over and found them to be loose in the joints but otherwise in good shape. So, she paid for them, we loaded them into my truck and I will be doing repair on them. BTW, I told her to offer them less than what they were asking because of the problems. They were asking 35.00 apiece for them and I believe she got them for 20.00 each. Who knows, I might get more business out of this chance meeting and maybe some referrals.

Mike

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
You are a flea market king!!! For a second, I thought you were going to show pictures of another patternmakers vise.

Nice haul Mike. They are nice, and they are not cheap that is for sure.

Travis,

That is my one in a lifetime true galoot gloat (patternmakers vise) that will most likely never repeat itself. But, you can be sure that if I do stumble on another, I will surely share it with everyone. :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Mike

sapwood

New User
Roger
You are the master of the flea market Mike :eusa_clap
That is a huge cutter and well made . . . should have many more years of life. It's a good item to keep on one's radar since they aren't used in print shops much anymore. :crybaby2:

Retired prepress manager,
Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors