Flattening on CNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
I figured I would start a new thread instead of continuing on the other thread which was kind of hijacked.

Daniel, this is how I flatten on my table. The ply under the slab is sacrificial. couple blocks and wedges to hold it in place. It doesn't take a lot of pressure to hold it and alternate the direction of the wedges. This was a 42" x 102" Sapele slab for a odd shaped table top I'm building for a customer. Once the top was flat, I flipped it and used the vacuum to hold it, but you can just wedge it again if you are not using a vacuum

If the board is really rough and twisted to begin with, I usually use a 3/4" downcut endmill as it can take a lot of material per pass. If it's fairly flat I use a 4" diameter surfacing bit from Amana however in figured woods, that bit can have tear out. It took 9 minutes each side using the 3/4" bit

Attachments

• IMG_2084.JPG
    IMG_2084.JPG
    462.3 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2086.JPG
    IMG_2086.JPG
    617 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_2088.JPG
    IMG_2088.JPG
    561.4 KB · Views: 173

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
this was the finished project tonight. A Outside grill/bar area that the top flips over on top of itself to save space. Customers specs.

Attachments

• IMG_2091.JPG
    IMG_2091.JPG
    769.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_2090.JPG
    IMG_2090.JPG
    913.1 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2089.JPG
    IMG_2089.JPG
    536.5 KB · Views: 138

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
cool, thanks for the pics.

So your sacrificial plywood, that sits ontop of your regular sacrificial board and is just held down by your vacuum?

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
Correct. 90% of what I cut on this machine is plywood for cabinet shops so keeping my spoilboard clean for maximum vacuum is important. I pull 24" of vacuum and additional holes would give me leakage. So, a scrap piece of ply I can screw into works well. On my 4x4 machine I use plugs that are inserted into the spoilboard where I can use T bolts and clamps. Works really well

Attachments

• IMG_2094.JPG
    IMG_2094.JPG
    504 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_2093.JPG
    IMG_2093.JPG
    473.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_2092.JPG
    IMG_2092.JPG
    605.8 KB · Views: 134

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I've given long thought to a manual version of this with a big router and a spoilboard bit. I have used a rudimentary version when I flattened a slab for a brewery. Basically wood rails and a plywood jig, but it took hours and produced some minor tearout.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Thanks, I run a vacuum on my ShopBot (2 FEIN vacs to 4 zones) so don't want to eat up sacrificial board any more than I have to. I've got some cypress to flatten, so I may give it a try this way instead of my planer since they are just a bit wider than my planer can handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS