First Walnut Project

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I get a real kick out of working with various types of wood. Each have their own unique characteristics that can make the same piece look very different. Each “work” a little different when milling, sanding and other various operations. I have to say walnut is at the top of my list so far in several categories (my list is not that long at this point).

Anyway, I made this simple little table and found walnut to be very forgiving. For example when you go to great efforts to make the drawer and face board out of one piece so the grain will match up…but then put the face board in upside-down. Doooh!

Attachments

• IMG_3803.jpeg
    IMG_3803.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 240
  • IMG_3804.jpeg
    IMG_3804.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 250

NateG

New User
Nate
I agree with the rest of the commenters here, I looked at the pictures before I read your explanation about the drawer. I think it gives a unique look to it and likely only you will know about it. Great work!

Kinger

Mathew
User
I'm in the same boat, the table is great. Had to go back and read the post to see what the "problem" with the drawer was. Walnuts my favorite!

Matt Furjanic

Matt
Senior User
I get a real kick out of working with various types of wood. Each have their own unique characteristics that can make the same piece look very different. Each “work” a little different when milling, sanding and other various operations. I have to say walnut is at the top of my list so far in several categories (my list is not that long at this point).

Anyway, I made this simple little table and found walnut to be very forgiving. For example when you go to great efforts to make the drawer and face board out of one piece so the grain will match up…but then put the face board in upside-down. Doooh!
Really a nice job, but unusual to have the grain of the top going in that direction. Usually, the grain is set parallel to the front. Not criticizing, just saying it’s different. However, I like it! And walnut is a dream to work. Try sapele sometime. It works and finishes beautifully also. Nice work!

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Really a nice job, but unusual to have the grain of the top going in that direction. Usually, the grain is set parallel to the front. Not criticizing, just saying it’s different. However, I like it! And walnut is a dream to work. Try sapele sometime. It works and finishes beautifully also. Nice work!
Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. I didn’t realize that the grain on the top would normally run parallel to the front. I ran it that way because the depth front to back was longer than the width (parallel to the front). It makes sense now that you pointed it out, it would be better to avoid end grain to the front.

mpeele

michael
User
Nice table. For mistakes like that I've been known to slice a pice of veneer and apply to both parts. No one will notice that extra 1/32", not even a woodworker.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors