first try at scrolling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
OK here is my first attempt at scrolling. I am not real happy with the results and will probably attempt this again tonight. A friend took the photo.

cool1.jpg

P4070025.JPG

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Nice work. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

It's pretty amazing to me how well the first try turns out, compared to subsequent attempts. Then, after a while, with lots of practice and wasted wood, we get pretty good at it.

There is just so much involved in woodworking it would be quite difficult <make that impossible> to become a master of all (or even most) of it. Turning, carving, scrolling, intarsia, cabinet making, bathroom vanities, serving trays, puzzles, entertainment centers for HDTVs, chairs, work benches, tool sharpening, dust ducts, pneumatic blast gates... the list goes on. And I didn't even mention trying to apply an acceptable finish to the end result. Or how to glue it up. Or keep it from warping once glued.

Oh, the list... the list.

And I, for one, cannot resist the temptation to try out each and every one of them instead of making a determined and decided effort to become a master at hand-cut dovetails (but that was last year).

My current challenge is learning to use a skew chisel for spindle work on the spinny thing. And I am getting better. My dovetails have not improved, however, even though my chisels are now sharp.

Badabing

New User
Joe
Wayne, that's something to be proud of. Seems to me it is an awesome piece, especially for a first attempt. Keep it up, I'd love to see how your work progresses as you get more experience!

Jim, I totally agree with you. I can't seem to master anything so far :dontknow:

I did find a great video on skew chisel use though. I highly recommend it. It's by Alan Lacer and you can buy or rent it at WoodCraft. The first video is the how to one, the second just shows a bunch of projects he makes with a skew.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Hey Wayne, I think that looks outstanding! Great job man. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
Looks like a great "first try" to me, too. Even managed to get the horse tails to show up, which is no mean feat.

Did you use spiral blades?

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Wayne, that looks GREAT man! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap When I first saw this, I didn't see the picture of what you scrolled and I thought, "man, this guy is a heck of a scroller/painter. That looks just like a photo of horses!" :slap:

VERY NICE job!

Trent

Steve W

New User
Steve
Looks great from where I sit!:thumbs_up

That represents a lot of very precise cutting and it certainly is faithful to the original. The tails must have been particularly ornery to get right.

:kermit: Steve

macdaddy

New User
Steve
If that is the first try we cannot wait to see the second, third , fourth and so on. Of course you can change the subjects and settings as you wish.

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
Wayne ... looks like the scrollsaw was a good purchase. I think you did a great job. Remember we are our own worst critics. Keep up the good work.

b4man

New User
Barbara
I'm "sufficiently" impressed! :wwink:You didn't choose the simplest pattern to start so I think you should be quite pleased.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wayne, from one scroller to another WELL DONE!!! There is nothing wrong with your project. You are too hard on yourself.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Hey, I'm impressed, Wayne!
And utilizing the photo shows creativity while personalizing the work :thumbsup:

Roger

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Jim, I totally agree with you. I can't seem to master anything so far :dontknow:

Right now I'm of the jack of all trades, master of none school of thought!

That's a GREAT first try! Something to be proud of for SURE!

cskipper

Cathy
I think that's great! The fact that you might cut it again tonight means that you didn't totally frustrated which is also very good!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I try to avoid showing off my first try at anything, it's too embarrassing. Yours is highly worthy. I think with a bit more fine cuts within the body to add depth you would really have an exceptional piece of work. Without, I am still very impressed...better than my first (that you'll never see :lol::lol:)
Dave:)

sawduster

New User
Robert
It is commendable that you are able to see your own work with a critical eye
.........but lighten up man ! :gar-La;
That looks a whole lot better than my first piece !! :eusa_clap

tuck it away somewhere safe and pull it out again in a year ( seriously )
I still take mine out and look at it from time to time just to remind myself where I started

I'm impressed and like Cathy said, the fact that you want to cut it again means you may have just been hooked :icon_thum

Good job !! :eek:ccasion1

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
Looks just fine to me too. Don't be too critical of the "first tries" of anything. Scrolling like any other task should be attacked the same way you would eat and elephant.... ONE BITE AT A TIME....:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS