First 'Real' project.... Need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbeach

New User
Mike
Hey everyone! Been a while since I have been on here. Have not had much time for woodworking lately :(....

But, with a new baby due in January and a 2 year old now, it is time for her to get a 'big girl' bed. We have found one that we like, and after looking at it, it does not look to difficult to build.

However, since I have never made anything like this before, I do not know all the answers.

Here is a picture:
176809-L.jpg

So...

Here are my questions.

What kind of wood to use? (keep in mind that my wife wants it painted white)

What kind of paint to use?

What tools would make this easier?

Anything that I need to know before I start?

Thanks!

Michael

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
We have found one that we like, and after looking at it, it does not look to difficult to build.

However, since I have never made anything like this before, I do not know all the answers.

Here is a picture:
176809-L.jpg

So...

Here are my questions.

What kind of wood to use? (keep in mind that my wife wants it painted white)

What kind of paint to use?

What tools would make this easier?

Anything that I need to know before I start?

Thanks!

Michael

Michael, I'll try to answer your specific questions later, but first a comment about the bed. You say you have never made anything like this before. Does that mean you consider yourself a "beginner" woodworker, or are you more "advanced" but have never made a bed before. If you consider yourself a "beginner", this might not be the right project to tackle just yet. The bed is beautiful, and I know a two year old Little Princess would love it. However, there are some elements that might take a skill level more in tune w/ "advanced", or at least "intermediate". The serpentine curves on the head and foot boards will either require a band saw or bent laminations, depending on how you make them. It looks like the spindles may be mortised into the upper and lower members, although you might be able to work around those w/ a little creative engineering. The roll-out trundle bed underneath is a large box requiring special attention to make sure it travels in and out correctly. Sorry if I sound discouraging, but I don't know your level of skill, and I'm not sure this is a project for a beginner. At the very least, I would try to find a good set of plans to work off.

Now to answer your specific questions. What kind of Wood: I would use Poplar for a painted project. It takes paint well, and is fairly reasonably priced (about $2.20/bf at The Hardwood Store of NC). What kind of paint: two options. Since I prefer to spray my painted projects, I try to go w/ oil based paints. For primer, I use Zinsser's B-I-N, a shellac based white primer. Then I follow up w/ a reasonably good oil based paint. If you're brushing the paint, choose a good water based primer and latex paint. I don't have a specific recommendation. Add a flow agent, like Flotrol or Paint Ease, to help smooth out the brush marks. What tools would make this easier: As mentioned above, I would think you're going to need a band saw, as well as the usual suspects (e.g. table saw, router table, drill press, etc.). If you don't have all the heavy machinery, you might be able to get by w/ some hand held power tools, like drills, sanders, routers, etc. Anything that I need to know before I start: There are a lot of experienced woodworkers on this site who love to help others. Identify some of them in your area and don't be afraid to ask for their input. Most of them would be happy to have you visit their shop, or even come to your shop to help out.

I sincerely hope I haven't insulted or offended you w/ this advice. But since I don't know your skill level or tool inventory, I thought it best to say too much rather than not enough.

Bill

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Bill gave some excellent advice. I will add, if you don't have access to a band saw, you could always take out those curves and make those boards flat. That would certainly make it more doable. I'll go even further and say that what you can and can not accomplish is completely up to you. If you want to build that bed, DO IT. It looks pretty challenging, but if you want to build it badly enough, you can do it. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I'll echo Bill's suggestion to use poplar. For the panels, MDF would be a good choice. I've had excellent results with Sherman Williams ProClassic 100% acrylic paint. Don't get ordinary "latex" paint because it will always remain "sticky". Note that SW uses the word "latex" in the acrylic paint to indicate it's water-based, not because it actually has latex. Talk about confusing!

I suggest you build the bed in such a way it comes apart. There is specific hardware for that, Lee Valley and Rockler sell them, just search for "bed hangers". That way, if the bed ever needs to be moved, you can break it down to 2 rails and a headboard/ footboard. I'd also treat the bed and drawer unit as two completely separate projects, just to stay sane.

mbeach

New User
Mike
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

To clarify a few things. I would say that I am an advanced beginner --> Intermediate worker. I am also only building the bed, not building the trundle (drawers under the bed).

Bas, I had the same idea about making 2 rails and a headboard and footboard. Just did not know what the hardware was called, so thanks for that!

Thanks again!

gcgarner

New User
Chris
Wow! Great minds!

I am taking on the bed project for my 2-year-old ... but it's a bit different. And this is also my first "real" project.

I'm in over my head a little, but it's coming together nicely. I eliminated all the "curves" however and squared them off. An ellipse with a jigsaw is a little out of my league right now.

I modified the plans a little for the better. I'll post progress pics ASAP. Figured nobody would really care to see them, but since it's similar to your project, maybe was can swap some stories and ideas! Here's a pic from the plans I bought on ebay.

DollhouseLoftA.jpg

cpw

New User
Charles
I'd also treat the bed and drawer unit as two completely separate projects, just to stay sane.
+1

Michael,

I am not so top-flight on woodworking, but I used to work at a bedroom furniture store, so I have a lot of experience in that arena.

I am not sure what your intentions are, but in the photo it looks like the "drawer" unit is actually a trundle bed made to look like a bank of drawers. Whether you intend to make a trundle or a set of drawers, I would still make it a separate unit as Bas suggests.

Most folks get an inexpensive mattress set or a cheap mattress and bunkieboard for a 2-year-old, anticipating "accidents" and so forth. Which is fine. They don't weigh anything and sleep just about anywhere. But as she gets older and heavier she will need something better and more supportive. So, something you need to ask yourself is, "do I anticipate that she will use this bed until she is old enough to move out, or are we going to replace this when she hits her teen years?"

What I am getting at is that you should think through your mattress/foundation choices before you get too far into the design. As pictured, that bed looks like it would accommodate a bunkieboard with a standard thickness mattress or a standard profile foundation/boxspring with a standard thickness mattress. However, a lot of the newer mattress sets are very thick. I have seen mattress sets go on the bed and you cannot even see the headboard because it is so short. This decision will also be VERY important if you are going to do the trundle. I have delivered more than one mattress that was too thick to allow the trundle to be rolled away.

FYI: The stated standard size for a twin size mattress set is 39" x 75". Most tend to actually measure slightly over 38" x 74", but if you build for 39" x 75" then you will have room for the linens. The safest thing is to buy your mattress sets first and build to suit.

The other general piece of advice I have is to visit stores and look at how beds are made and measure a few things.

Send me a PM if you need more bed info.

Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS