First cutting board

Status
Not open for further replies.

USMCSergeant

New User
Keena
My first attempt. Walnut and hard maple end grain, 1.5" thick. I really like the way it turned out. This was a mothers day gift and she seemed happy to get it.

walnut board.jpg

USMCSergeant

New User
Keena
My second attempt I wanted to try something a little more complicated. I used Cherry, hard maple, and walnut. Turned out ok, though I wish I had used thinner stock.

cherry maple walnut board.jpg

Weekendworrior

New User
Bill
Love 'em. Both are nice but the top pic'd one catches my eye the most. The light into dark "shadow" continual is really cool to me.

Chuck N

Chuck
Corporate Member
Both look terrific. I showed the pictures to my wife who asked, "When are you making me one?". Looks like another project!!!

USMCSergeant

New User
Keena
Love 'em. Both are nice but the top pic'd one catches my eye the most. The light into dark "shadow" continual is really cool to me.

When I made this one, after all the cross cuts I realized how boring it would be being symmetrical. But I actually like it more than the patterned one, and I've had more people ask about it.

USMCSergeant

New User
Keena
Thanks for looking Chuck, and I think if you try a cutting board out you might get hooked. They're really fun to make, even if endgrain is a nightmare to sand.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
You did a great job on both of them. I need to mess around doing some of these once I get the new shop up and running.

Red

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
great job! not sure what the minimum thickness is for an end grain board but be careful. I made one for my dad (~12x16") that finished at ~1" thick and after sitting in the shop, bowed/cupped considerably (~1/8"). I cut it down a bit, re-flattened it, and gave it to my daughter (5yr old). She loves it and is not concerned that it's slightly bowed.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Both are very nice.
However, I curious as to what's beneath them.

Also, in case there's anyone who doesn't know; Always store cutting boards like books, never flat even overnight.

DWSmith

New User
David
Two reasons:

If there is a little moisture under the board, you will have a warp or split in the morning.

Or, if it is a thick board the wood might move to level with the counter top if it is uneven.

USMCSergeant

New User
Keena
Thanks everyone. It may not look like it from the view but it's about 1 3/8" thick. I debated putting rubber feet on it to allow it to sit on countertops without the worry of moisture getting trapped underneath.

MagGeorge

New User
George
They both look amazing. Like the wood colors and the wild grains, the finish sets them off. Love that it's thick too. Great work!

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Those look great! I did my first boards last fall for xmas presents. I only used maple scraps I had laying around - there was a little bit of color variation just in the those few boards. One board had a bit of darker wood that ended up on the edges of one board - my wife picked that one (it's on the bottom in the pic). My mom has asked for another :> I have some cherry laying around I'd like to try mixing in with the maple.

I leveled mine with a spiral head planer...using VERY light passes. I allowed for tearout on along the trailing edge (which was substantial) and took a little off the edges after planing flat to clean them up. Much quicker than hand planing or sanding them :>

20121220_214533.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors