First 2 handplanes......

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Picked up woodworking as a hobby when I retired due to a heart problem. Went the typical route and added some big power equipment to add to what I had already accumulated. Moved out of my small 12X16 shop and took over the 3 car garage attached to the house.
Having followed this forum for quite a while my curiosity began to peak concerning handtools. Made my first purchase of a Lie-Nielson block rabbit plane when on sale at Woodcraft. Talking to a relative about my new found pleasure with planes, he offered me a plane he had that he hadn't ever used. Turned out to be a 1968? Stanley #5. Right in the box just like it had been sitting on a store shelf. Wonder how much tuning this thing will need? Just picked it up and got home and opened it! Excited!

Attachments

• IMGP0157.jpg
    IMGP0157.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 160

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Let me be the first to say you SUCK!! (that means you did good here at North Carolina Woodworker) and man thats awesome about the Stanley and the LN plane. You will have to prob tune up the Stanley a bit but not much. Congrats friend.

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
Nice score!! If that Stanley requires too much tuning for you, I'll be happy to take it off your hands :eusa_danc

-Marco

JimReed2160

New User
jim
Congratulations on scoring those two planes. They are good ones to start with. The blade on the LN should be sharp enough to use right out of the box. Clamp a piece of scrap (no knots) in a vise or between dogs on your workbench. Set the blade to cut a thin and wispy shaving thinner than a sheet of paper. That is what a plane does best.

Now tackle the Stanley. Its blade will probably require a bit of honing. Set it to take a shaving just like the LN.

You are now an official GALOOT. Good luck making shavings.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wayne, I don't know which is better, a new LN or an older Stanley out of the box. Either way you're SUCKIN'

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS