Fire Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlrion

New User
Dan
After my "The Fire has been lit" post, everyone thinks I am going to burn myself down!

Well I have one of these.....
100_14591.JPG

View image in gallery

DO YOU?

:rotflm: :gar-Bi

ehpoole

Ethan
Well, my shop has:

a) 2-1/2lb BC extinguisher (essentially baking soda)
b) 5lb ABC Extinguisher
c) 10lb ABC Extinguisher

All of which are located adjacent to shop exit doors (extinguishers should always be located next to exits so that you are always fleeing a fire to retrieve them, as such you are never cut off from an exit). I also have a first-aid kit mounted on a shelf just above the extinguishers.

This fall, now that it has begun to cool off, I will also be installing a pair of 135F heat sensors in my garage/workshop which will be interconnected with the house smoke alarms. I'll also be adding a heat sensor to our crawl space.

At some point in the future I may -- undecided as yet -- break down and install several fire sprinklers in my workshop just in case the worst ever happens.

I also have a steel bucket of water that sits inside a steel trashcan (w/lid) for storing oily rags until they can be more properly disposed of.

I think I have my bases pretty much covered.:wink_smil But it is always good to remind people of fire safety.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
:icon_cheers
Good for you! And the others that understand being ready!
My shop has smoke detector, fire extinguishers, first aid kit, and is fequently inhabited by one or more firefighters... I know - overkill!

In honor of Fire Prevention week, and your timely post I will offer a few things.
Please, have safety equipment. Having it is one part of the puzzle. Maintaining it is another part of the puzzle. Knowing before time how to properly use it is a huge piece!

Change the batteries in your smoke detectors twice a year. When you change the time on your clocks - change the batteries in your smoke detectors! If you have hard wired (ac) detectors, do you also have battery backup?
You would not believe how often we find detectors with dead batteries or no batteries.
By the way - how OLD are your smoke detectors? Smoke detectors need to be replaced at least every ten years.
Good stuff guys. Things happen. Make sure you are ready before something happens to you or one of yours!

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Having an extinguisher is very good, but you need a larger one.

A 2 1/2lb extinguisher might be able to put out a few sheets of paper that are burning in a waste basket or a burning paint can with almost a guarantee of success, but in a person's hand who has little or no training in the proper use of a fire extinguisher it likely won't do much more than that. Most try to get too close to the fire before using the extinguisher. 5 ft away is about right for a very small fire, and you should aim at the base of the flames with a side to side sweeping action while moving closer slowly. A 2 1/2lb extinguisher will only last about 10 seconds.

In a woodworking shop you should have at least one 5 or 10lb dry chemical extinguisher plus additional extinguishers (2nd and third could be smaller) for each 25' X 25' size area if your shop if is larger than that. You should also realize that you likely will only have one shot at putting out a fire with a dry chemical extinguisher, because the chemical dust cloud will make it nearly impossible to go back and do it again with a second extinguisher. Inhaling that stuff is not good for you. My 14 X 26' shop never goes below freezing, so in addition to my 10 lb dry chemical extinguisher, I also keep a pressurized water extinguisher handy for the non-electrical and non solvent fires. It makes much less mess. There is also a 25' hose with a nozzle on a hanger just outside the door that is always connected to water. It may be frozen in the coldest part of the winter, but it's there and ready most of the year.

I keep my extinguishers near the door, so I can either choose to flee or turn and go back with an extinguisher to fight the fire. Also, if the first extinguisher doesn't do it, be sure to call the fire department before you go back in with the next one. Many people will keep trying to fight the fire and it gets totally out of control before their neighbor notices and calls the fire department for them.
Then it takes another 5 or more minutes for the fire department to get there and by then the whole shop is burning. These same rules should be applied to how you fight a fire anywhere, be it in your house, your shop, car or truck, or anywhere.

A fire rarely happens, but you need to be properly prepared, just in case. Also realize that you will likely have only one chance to put out the fire, and you will not succeed if you don't have a large enough extinguisher to do the job, or have some back-up capability.

Charley

(retired fire marshal)

dlrion

New User
Dan
Hmmm.... You are probably right. I guess I will go get a bigger fire extinguisher today, and move this smaller one into the house.

I am not a retired fire marshal... but I went through a two day military course on how to put out airplane fires in case they happen.

I know it doesn't translate over perfectly, but the fundamentals are the same. But a 5 pounder is in order I think.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors