Fire pit lid

clt49er

Clt49er
User
Got a Breeo smokeless fire pit that I would like to make a lid / tabletop for. Just got a cnc and was considering the following:

Pine 2x2s clamped and glued up.
Cut to 36” circle.
Cnc carved and inlayed with uv epoxy.
Clear coat with uv epoxy on all sides.
Finished with a marine varnish.

Fire pit is in full sun and weather. I would like for this to survive and look decent for 5 plus years. Scatches and durability would also be a concern as we have put flower pots on our temporary one. Am I asking too much?

Attached was our temporary piece I bought two years ago. Its seen better days. Was only finished with deck stain.

Attachments

• IMG_4475.jpeg
    IMG_4475.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 54

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Got a Breeo smokeless fire pit that I would like to make a lid / tabletop for. Just got a cnc and was considering the following:

Pine 2x2s clamped and glued up.
Cut to 36” circle.
Cnc carved and inlayed with uv epoxy.
Clear coat with uv epoxy on all sides.
Finished with a marine varnish.

Fire pit is in full sun and weather. I would like for this to survive and look decent for 5 plus years. Scatches and durability would also be a concern as we have put flower pots on our temporary one. Am I asking too much?

Attached was our temporary piece I bought two years ago. Its seen better days. Was only finished with deck stain.

Full sun & weather, horizontal piece (water does not run off?), 5+ years durability - asking too much? YES.

I wouldn't even expect a painted surface to look great under those conditions. I'd expect the need for more maintenance (every 1-2 years?) than you are oping/expecting. Keeping it clean of abrasive materials and wet leaves will help, but I doubt you will get 5 years service out of any coating.

I'd love to proven wrong though.

A solid color deck stain woul dbe the easiest to use and recoat, but that's is not the clear-coat that you are likely looking for.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Maybe laminate something rot resistant then use the CNC to rout a slight dome in it for water runoff. Then use the UV sealant.

We had a firepit but just used a cover like this:

1705687127930.png

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I know this is a WW site, but how about 0.063 aluminum? I believe your CNC could handle that.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
The limiting factor for longevity for an object like this exposed to weather (water) is the horizontal surface. It's why porch railings etc. peel paint before the pickets. I would opt for a piece of aluminum, fiberglass, or even plastic. If wood I would try to cover it with flashing. If you could figure a way to have some slope then a wood cover would last longer.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Another option I just thought of is to cruise the thrift stores and look for round glass table tops. We have bought plenty of those over the years and use them for tables on our patios. Some are coffee table size.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Another option I just thought of is to cruise the thrift stores and look for round glass table tops. We have bought plenty of those over the years and use them for tables on our patios. Some are coffee table size.

A good idea but look for a tempering mark. Most table tops will be tempered. If it's tempered, it cannot be cut.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
We recently had a sign made for our subdivision and they used a substrate of ACM. I believe it is a form of plastic sandwiched between two sheets of aluminum. Kinda like a plastic/aluminum plywood. I believe it comes in wide sheets but not sure what the cost is.

clt49er

Clt49er
User
IMG_4961.jpeg

Welp. I did it anyways. Will see how it plays out in full elements.

2x3s glued and clamped.
Stained with exterior stain.
UV epoxy resin in the inlays as well as clear coated all sides very well.

Going to add several 3/8” dowel rods thru the sides to help with warping. No idea if this helps. Will also add a drip ring on underside that someone suggested above.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS