Finishes for Ash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rywilson

New User
Ryan
Can anyone recomend a finish for Ash?
I had thought about using India ink to dye it black but then decided I want more of a natural finish.

Would you use BLO?
Does anyone have any examples of natural finish on Ash?

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Ryan, thanks for starting the ball rolling. I have the same question. Because of the high cost of wood I am going to try and use ash for a project. I am so far from anywhere to buy wood it really is frustrating. Found some kiln dry ash only about 30 minutes away. I have been using it for secondary wood but have decided to use it for two new bathroon vanities. I plan to build them very similar to the old washstand style.

My wife wants them to be dark. I have used aniline dye for dark color in the past but am worried about using it on wood with large grain like ash. Would sealing it with shellac be an option? Would using a gel stain be a better option than aniline dye?

M

McRabbet

If you want a color other than black, I'd suggest Behlen's Solarlux (available at Klingspor's Woodworking Shop). It is a non-grain raising stain and is available in lots of colors. Then apply a clear finish over the stain. If you are going to a dark color, I think it will work fine on Ash.

You could also try one of the darker tints of a Watco Danish Oil that includes everything together (stain, sealer and finish), like any of these.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Ryan, the finish you should consider using has a lot to do with what you are making. Some pieces require a more protective finish than others. BLO is good for adding a little amber coloration to the wood and often "popping" the grain patterns of figured stock. It isn't a protective finish. BLO and wax are great for a piece that will sit on a mantle and not be used, but a very poor finish choice for a table top.
Almost any oil based finish will give you the same ambering and grain popping efffect as BLO.
For a "natural" finish I like to use Waterlox Original sealer/Finish, home brewed "Danish Oil" (1:1:1 MS, BLO, gloss Polyurethane) or blonde shellac.
I choose from that group based upon the level of protection the piece will need, and how much abuse the finish will take (will it need to be repaired often).
HTH, Dave:)

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
I may well be the "odd duck" on this, but personally, I LOVE the way the grain of nice white ash comes alive with just plain ol poly on it, no stain, no nuthin!!!!!

Sorry, I'll let myself out, thanks.........

nelsone

New User
Ed
On the artist's table I built a few weeks back, I used a grain filler dyed brown, used medium brown dye, seal coat of shellac, and poly. Seemed to work out nicely.

rywilson

New User
Ryan
The piece I made is a nightstand so it will take some abuse.

Any good books or research material for learning more about finishes?

M

McRabbet

I would recommend Jeff Jewitt's book titled "Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Finishing" or Bob Flexner's book "Understanding Wood Finishes". Both are excellent and at reduced prices at Amazon.com (I have both of them, but prefer Jewitt's book).

pslamp32

New User
Peter

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Does anyone have any examples of natural finish on Ash?

Oops, sorry Ryan I must have missed this part. Flexner recommends finishing Ash the same way as Oak for obvious reasons. He actually recommends using a pigment dye to tone a finish, he likes satin lacquer. I guess you could use a very light dye toner in very small amounts to just warm up the look. I like using shellac with a toner. I do it like the Wood Whisperer with a clean cotton rag. Works good for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS