Finished and delivered a commission job today

John Jimenez

JJ
Corporate Member
This guy is a huge Ohio State fan. He got the walnut slabs for a steal up in Amish country in Ohio. Slabs were kiln dried and already planed to 6/4 which made life easy. He was very happy with the end result.

Attachments

• IMG_3008.jpeg
    IMG_3008.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 172
  • IMG_3010.jpeg
    IMG_3010.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 172
  • IMG_3030.jpeg
    IMG_3030.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 163
  • IMG_3027.jpeg
    IMG_3027.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 162
  • IMG_3031.jpeg
    IMG_3031.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 160
  • IMG_3033.jpeg
    IMG_3033.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG_3032.jpeg
    IMG_3032.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 172

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Very Nice !, you red tinted the epoxy and poured over maple insert between the walnut ?

John Jimenez

JJ
Corporate Member
Nicely done! 👍
What can you tell us about the leg assembly?
Thank you! Legs were easy. Ordered the steel painted legs that customer chose off Amazon. I used 6 threaded inserts on each leg into the wood…1/4” bolts to secure legs.

Dbush714

DB
User
Beautiful work, John!
I have some smaller walnut slabs drying out back that I’m hoping to make something down the road. I’ve not done any epoxy work yet. Can you share what type/brand you used/prefer?

John Jimenez

JJ
Corporate Member
Beautiful work, John!
I have some smaller walnut slabs drying out back that I’m hoping to make something down the road. I’ve not done any epoxy work yet. Can you share what type/brand you used/prefer?
Thank you! I have done a fair amount of epoxy work and prefer to use the Ecopoxy flow cast for deep pours. Amazon usually has the best prices but epoxy isn’t cheap. I have a melamine 4x8 sheet and built 3” tall rails out of melamine boards that I screw into the melamine sheet with pocket hole screws to make a mold for the slabs. I put tyvek tape onto the surface of the melamine sheet where the epoxy will be poured. I also put tyvek tape on the end rails where the pour will be. I run a bead of reg latex caulk under the slab about an inch in from the edge of the pour edge and same for ends. I screw the end rails into the ends of the slabs. I screw the slabs down from underneath the melamine sheet. I then paint the live edge of the river with a 1:1 epoxy (tinted same color as pour) and allow it to seal the bottom of the slab where it meets the melamine sheet….same for ends. I have found that the 1:1 epoxy that you can buy from Michael’s is about the cheapest and works just fine. I also use the 1:1 to fill in any cracks or holes in the slab top. Sorry for the long winded explanation.

Dbush714

DB
User
Thank you! I have done a fair amount of epoxy work and prefer to use the Ecopoxy flow cast for deep pours. Amazon usually has the best prices but epoxy isn’t cheap. I have a melamine 4x8 sheet and built 3” tall rails out of melamine boards that I screw into the melamine sheet with pocket hole screws to make a mold for the slabs. I put tyvek tape onto the surface of the melamine sheet where the epoxy will be poured. I also put tyvek tape on the end rails where the pour will be. I run a bead of reg latex caulk under the slab about an inch in from the edge of the pour edge and same for ends. I screw the end rails into the ends of the slabs. I screw the slabs down from underneath the melamine sheet. I then paint the live edge of the river with a 1:1 epoxy (tinted same color as pour) and allow it to seal the bottom of the slab where it meets the melamine sheet….same for ends. I have found that the 1:1 epoxy that you can buy from Michael’s is about the cheapest and works just fine. I also use the 1:1 to fill in any cracks or holes in the slab top. Sorry for the long winded explanation.
John,
Thanks so much for all this info! Very helpful. I will tuck it away for future use.
Cheers!

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
Thank you! Legs were easy. Ordered the steel painted legs that customer chose off Amazon. I used 6 threaded inserts on each leg into the wood…1/4” bolts to secure legs.
Thanks,
Are the holes oversized to allow for wood movement?

John Jimenez

JJ
Corporate Member
Thanks,
Are the holes oversized to allow for wood movement?
Good question Hitch….yes the threaded inserts are for 1/4 bolts….the holes in the legs where the bolts go through are 1/2” and bolts not tightened past hand snug. The slabs were kiln dried and reading at 8%…it will be used in house so hopefully there won’t be a ton of movement.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
That makes sense John.
Again, it's a great piece.
The Buckeye knobs are a great touch!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors