Finished a few and cleaned up

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have had several little projects built but not finished, and in my effort to clean up the shop today they had to get done.
Over the last week I've been turning some pens for a family friend to give as gifts to Vets in his Order of the Purple Heart. Of course they were turned from Purpleheart, and I added a little Holy and Ebony accent to add some style. They are Euro pens but without the PITA center band the kit comes with.

Misc_shop_stuff_001.jpg

The the infamous cat bed got it's mattress made and came up stairs, no confirmation if it will be used or not.

Misc_shop_stuff_002.jpg

I had started on a box a while back, but hadn't finished it because I didn't need another dust collector in the house. Well today it got a coat of wax and became the holder for all my lathe accessories so they didn't get buried in the shavings under my lathe. The top is resawn and bookmatched Persimmon, and the sides and bottom are Peruvian Walnut with Maple keys and a Bloodwood accent inlay.

Misc_shop_stuff_004.jpg

Misc_shop_stuff_005.jpg

After last Sunday's torrential rainstorms my shop was in need of a major clean up. I suffered some major water seepage and all the sawdust on the floor did a great job of absorbing the moisture, but I had a huge mess. So I cleaned shop very thoughly...I had the wife help :oops: :oops: . I got all the unfinished projects out of the way, as seen above and cleaned and organized everything. I filled the back of my truck with scrap wood and cut offs that I had been saving. I had a serious scrap hoarding problem, but now I am on the road to recovery, at least until the next piece of wood comes along.
For those who have been to my shop this is what it looks like when clean. And for those who haven't this is a rare glimpse, as I don't have a major cleaning too often.

Misc_shop_stuff_003.jpg

Oh yea, the clean up allowed me to make a space for my new Ridgid OSS and the slapped together stand I made. This is a nice machine and I am very happy with it so far.

Misc_shop_stuff_006.jpg

Now I can get a fresh start on my next mess and slew of new unfinished projects :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave:)

CarlaG

New User
Carla
Better watch letting your wife help clean up your shop....she might find she likes it out there. That is how I got sucked into woodworking!!:rolf:
BTW...like your new sander:lol:, that is what I use to shape my paddles since I am half afraid of the big tools....be careful though, those things will trim your nails for you!! (and sometimes your fingertips!!) :crybaby2: Haven't gotten mine yet, but Allen got his a couple of weeks ago as did my 6 year old son who thought he was man enough to run it if his Mom could run it.:lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Better watch letting your wife help clean up your shop....she might find she likes it out there.

That would be a good thing, but who would watch our 3 yr.old daughter...she's not quite shop worthy yet :lol: :lol:

"BTW...like your new sander:lol: be careful though, those things will trim your nails for you!!"

The money I save on manicures goes to the tool budget :eusa_danc :eusa_danc Sanders only take a little bit of your fingers at a time...unlike the TS or jointer 8-O

Dave:)

CarlaG

New User
Carla
Not shop worthy?? Give the little sweetie a bucket of water and a paint brush, will keep her busy for hours!! Mine daughter is only 2 1/2 and she has been coming out with us since she could walk!! Course so has Nathan, that is probably why he thought he could use the sander!!

cpowell

New User
Chuck
That's an impressive list of accomplishments for a weekend! I'm also impressed with the shop cleanup. It looks like you even cleaned UNDER tables and such! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Beautiful work, Dave!! Very nice looking shop, too. :)

Chuck

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Dave, that is quite the transformation! I missed seeing that box before, but love the detailed inlay and keys.

rhett

New User
rhett
Feels good to have a clean shop. All your work looks very nice, the board the pens are on got my attention the most though. Whats the deal with that piece, is it a top or ...?

erasmussen

New User
RAS
5 beautiful pens, 1 very nice box (i like the finger hole latch assy.or whatever you call it), stand for a new tool, and a super clean shop:eusa_clap
thats a lot for one weekend, makes me feel like I've been dragin my feet

Sabre2

New User
Sabre2
Very nice pens ( like the symbolism even more), box and a clean shop. Sorry to hear about the water seeping in. You will like the Ridgid sander. I find myself using way more than I thought I would.
Gary

J

jeff...

I still think the highlight of your shop is the tie-dye :icon_thum It gives the shop that "Dave" feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS