Finish on Ipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
depends on what you are using it for. for pens CA would be ok but may not hold up. :dontknow: for decks no finish is required.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
depends on what you are using it for. for pens CA would be ok but may not hold up. :dontknow: for decks no finish is required.

Decorative plate - only thing I had wide enough for what I want to - Just a thought would Butcher Block oil finish work

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Ipe is oily enough that I think I'd try to friction-polish it using it's own natural oils.

Like how ebony can be polished to a nice high retained luster.

-Mark

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Ipe is oily enough that I think I'd try to friction-polish it using it's own natural oils.

Like how ebony can be polished to a nice high retained luster.

-Mark

Mark I thought about that also but I have some other woods - Cherry - BW with it and I am only guessing that I need to apply something to them :dontknow:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
A cabinet maker recommended using an acetone wash before gluing or finishing on Brazilian Cherry & it's as oily as Ipe. I'd try that.
.....in an inconspicuous place first, of course.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
A cabinet maker recommended using an acetone wash before gluing or finishing on Brazilian Cherry & it's as oily as Ipe. I'd try that.
.....in an inconspicuous place first, of course.

:eusa_doh:I knew that but I used MS - I hope it holds:eusa_doh:

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
OK, so you have 3 different species in the piece.

I don't think anything is going to soak into the ipe, so that leaves surface finishes. I think I would shellac the piece, since shellac sticks to just about anything (after cleaning the ipe). If you pick, say, orange shellac, you can add some warmth to the walnut if you need that.

As always, try on a test piece.

-Mark

Tom Rioux

New User
Tom
For artistic interior pieces, polishing the tannins seems a great way to go on IPE'.

Rainforest and Looking Glass do absorb into IPE and will fortify the wood and pop the grain more. Mountain will form a very hard, High Gloss bombproof film on IPE and keep the rich tones of the wood indefinitely. Inside.

Outside IPE will crack and grey quickly. Many people want the dark red and brown tones, not grey. The first thing we do is nuetralize the acids with our Lime Clean wood cleaner. Then a coat of Rainforest or Mountain XT. If you don't address the acids most coatings will be repelled very quickly. Then only thing I've ever seen that holds that rich color of fresh IPE is the Rainforest / XT combo. Outside.

To wash IPE quickly I'd use an alkaline. If color changes to much or nuetralize I'd rinse with vinegar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS