Finger/plane/luthiers, small radius, and flat small planes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyfontaine

New User
Jonny
I've become very interested in build a few specialized luthier planes. Most are around 2.5" to 4. Unfortunately most are all brass I've seen a few infill style planes that are most likely one ofs, the metal ones are most mast produced and I've seen quality control all over the map. Blades shouldn't be a problem but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these planes. A good bit of the use is fairly rough removal of stick, but remember this is in very highly figured boards. If anyone has any direct experiance with build, not using bit building any of these style planes. It seems the should brass one could most difficult to build, so these "may" be cost effective to just but ones made by recommended companies, designs. I really love the veritas Palm planes, but please feel free to let me know you opinions, again at ncwoodworker everyone is trying to help a free flow of ideas and workmanship not "trade secrets" which is why I love this site, this is one of the many reasons I love www.ncwoodworker.com thanks

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jonny, don't know much about building planes but a source of a lot of luthier type planes that I've come across is Jim Bode Tools. He re-sells a lot of used hand tools. Be aware though that he is usually quite proud of his merchandise. But he does get some unusual stuff in stock occasionally. Subscribe to his newsletter to get a daily 'what's new' list.

http://www.jimbodetools.com/

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Jonny,

If you want to build your own plane, contact Scott Meek on here. He used to teach classes on building planes and he has built some for Highland Woodworking. He lives in the Asheville area.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS