Fine Woodworking Magazine RANT

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Fine Woodworking Magazine RANT

In December 2022, I received my Jan/Feb Issue #301 of the FWW magazine all mangled in a plastic envelope with a note from USPS that the magazine was caught in a sorting machine and was partially destroyed and that I should contact the publisher for a reissue.

This is where the fun began:

I sent an e-mail to FWW (Taunton Press) and received an auto-reply saying I would be contacted in 24-48 hrs. There was no contact, and I called the CS #; the 26-minute wait and the rep said they would send a reissue.

After another two weeks, no issue was received. I called again (another long wait) and was told they would issue a resend (I also verified my address).

After another 2-3 weeks and no reissue, I called again (wait time was 37 mins) and e-mailed again.

Three more weeks pass, and I receive my Mar/Apr issue # 302 but no reissue of #301. Coincidentally I also received an e-mail from Taunton press saying they sent 2 reissues and that I should complain to the PO.

I waited a week to cool down, and I called FWW customer svc this morning and got a live person within 2 minutes and was told they show 2 resends but would request a third but that if I don’t get this one, the problem will be passed along to the “Higher Ups” and that I shouldn’t expect them to do anything.

This is a sorry state, but it seems more common nowadays.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I actually have stopped my subscription not due to damage in shipping but content. The lower level magazines tend to recycle the same concepts and articles about every 2 years.
FWW seemed to have higher level projects and did not seem to publish the same things over and over. That is no longer the case. They have fallen into the trap. I like fresh innovative ideas and projects not the same book case or tool cabinet with different placement of the shelves and a different wood.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Something is wrong with the management, but to me the magazine content as well as the website has become stale. I cancelled my subscription after 25 odd years. I think it starts at the sop. Whoever is managing FWW is either incompetent or incapable of organizing people.

The digital side is just as bad. They haven't posted a video workshop build in a long time.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I get at least 3 spam e-mails from them every day, even though i have never subscribed, never visited their web site, nor ever requested any info from them. They are so obnoxious that i don't ever see subscribing to them.

Matt Furjanic

Matt
Senior User
I actually have stopped my subscription not due to damage in shipping but content. The lower level magazines tend to recycle the same concepts and articles about every 2 years.
FWW seemed to have higher level projects and did not seem to publish the same things over and over. That is no longer the case. They have fallen into the trap. I like fresh innovative ideas and projects not the same book case or tool cabinet with different placement of the shelves and a different wood.
Yeah, every other issue seems to have an article about dovetails…

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
But Wait! Can't I get the exclusive offer, this one time deal just for me, only $9 per year!?!?! And what was that, you'll send me 1010 Woodworking Tips free? A $19.99 value, mine for responding within 5 days! How can I pass it up???

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
They obviously do not look at this site. There are some amazingly talented woodworkers here with fresh new projects and ideas posted daily. And…..this is in theory NC Woodworker 1/50th of the country. How can they get stale?

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Not sure if it's the magazine that has gone stale but us! I've been getting the mag. for decades, and yes, most of it is some kind of re-hash. Maybe not to someone who just subscribed a decade ago. Usually I get one or two tips, or an inspiration, often from the gallery.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
That was some customer service! Sheesh!

Not trying to highjack the thread, ShopNotes, I did enjoy that one. Found a digital list on the web, not the same as a paper copy. Lot of good ideas imho.

awldune

Sam
User
I enjoy the magazine. The printed magazine industry is really struggling and having to cut costs all over the place. Hopefully the third time will be the charm.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
There's nothing "new" in woodworking that won't require newer technologies to achieve, and then people will complain about having to buy a new tool "just" to build a project that's in the magazine.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
There's nothing "new" in woodworking that won't require newer technologies to achieve, and then people will complain about having to buy a new tool "just" to build a project that's in the magazine.
That says it all.

I've got the first 150 or so issues. Once I've got those projects and techniques down pat, maybe I'll subscribe again.

When they first started, Paul Roman's goal was to sell articles and not advertising. That worked very well for a while and made the magazine an overwhelming success.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
My thoughts exactly. I had every issue up to about 3 years ago when I cancelled.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS