Finally getting back in the shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptully

New User
Chris
I've not done much in the shop for the past year or so - started lots of stuff but haven't finished anything until recently (like last weekend!). Now, I am hoping to finish the conversion of two wall mounted box type shelves into a single free standing book shelf for my daughter's school library in the next few weeks. I should have taken pictures of what I started with, but will post one or two of the results.

Then I will move on to completing my router table. I found an article from Fine Woodworking Mar/Apr 2004 titled "A Versatile Router Table" and am building one almost identical to that. The kicker that lead me to that design is three possible router mounting positions:

1) Pointing up through the table.
2) Mounted on a back plane with the bit shaft parallel to the table top.
3) Mounted on a shelf above the table.

An of course it is simple to replace the router shelf with with a pin routing attachment. That article has a nice mechanism for raising and lowering the back plane for mounting positions 2 & 3. Now just have to work out a reasonable mechanism for raising and lowering the bit in position 1. I know I could buy a BenchDog mount but I just don't want to spend that much... I've got a couple pieces of mild steel box beam that are about the right size to make a router clamp out of, so if I can find a machinist with the right price I may just make my own... That will lead to lats of pictures, I am sure!

Chris

T

toolferone

Godd on you getting going again. Looking forward to the progress pics/

cskipper

Cathy
I often find it difficult to make myself finish a project. That always involves the part of woodworking I don't enjoy - applying finishes -ugh! Glad you are back at it, and look forward to pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS