Filtering shellac?

Trey1984

Trey
User
I'm making shellac for the first time. Just curious on what's the best way to filter it and what to use... Don't know if make a difference... From what I read I made it around 2 lb cut. Also do you use same rag over and over and if so do you store it in the shellac or a separate container? Thanks

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
A Fine mesh filter for paint will work. However, I really never have filtered my shellac. I take the dry hard shellac, put it in a small blender and puverize it then, mix with Denatured alcohol, let sit for 4 hours lightly mixing a couple times and you are good to go.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I make mine from flakes without even grinding them. Anything that isn’t dissolved is glommed together in the bottom of the jar. Never even thought to filter as there is nothing floating around undissolved.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Unless you happened to get some dirt or other contaminate in your batch, there's no need to filter it.

I would suggest maybe thinning it down to a 1½lb cut. Thinner cuts apply easier, with less streaking potential.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
For applications I would suggest thinning it more, i generally work with 1 to 1 1/2 pound cut. Thinner applications are better than thicker applications. Filtering can be done with a paint filter available at any hardware store or paint store. Or you can filter it through a loose weave cotton cloth, I generally have fine cheesecloth around that I use to filter that and other things through. I also use it for applying stain and even shellac. I always grind the shellac flakes in a coffee grinder, it helps with the yield and you don’t have to filter the resulting liquids. It also speeds up the time needed to dissolve the shellac flakes. In the three workshops I have done over the past year, I have dissolved 8oz. of shellac at the beginning each time. In each of the workshops the shellac was ready to use with in 4 to 6 hours with no waste verses 8 to 12 hours and having waste.
This has been my experience your mileage may vary. But I would suggest playing with it.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
one other thought on the topic of thinning. It’s pretty common to mix shellac relatively thick, and cut it down for use. For instance, mix at 2# and dilute that down to 1 or so for application. Gives you some flexibility. Easier to dilute than concentrate on the go.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
one other thought on the topic of thinning. It’s pretty common to mix shellac relatively thick, and cut it down for use. For instance, mix at 2# and dilute that down to 1 or so for application. Gives you some flexibility. Easier to dilute than concentrate on the go.
2Lb cut is my starting point and is thinned from there. I’ve haven’t had a need to mix a heavier cut but I won’t rule it out.

Trey1984

Trey
User
Looks like don't really need filtering. It all dissolved. Went ahead and cut it to 1 1/2lbs. This is my first time using shellac. Think I'm going to make couple different cuts just so can see the difference between them. What is the reason you would need it to be thicker or thinner? Thanks again everyone

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Looks like don't really need filtering. It all dissolved. Went ahead and cut it to 1 1/2lbs. This is my first time using shellac. Think I'm going to make couple different cuts just so can see the difference between them. What is the reason you would need it to be thicker or thinner? Thanks again everyone
Faster build with thicker shellac.

Kelly

Kelly
User
I use old fashion cheesecloth, when I can find it.
I went to a local big box a few years ago and asked the worker in the paint section for cheese cloth. She looked at me like I was joking. She had never heard of it.
Youngsters

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I used to filter paint by pouring it through a tea strainer. I also still have a box of paper filters (with mesh in the bottom) that came from a paint store. I used them mostly for clear finishes.
We filtered the coatings if they had been opened before and if product was poured back in the container at the end of the day. This kept it clean for the next day.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors