File Cabinets Makeover

Status
Not open for further replies.

thrt15nc

Tom
User
I have some sort of an affinity for file cabinets. :eek: I've been going to make a couple for a long time, but couldn't decide on a design. Also, we've got four old ugly ones hiding under our roof in storage. So I finally brought the two small ones out and sort of prettied them up. Here's the before...... sorry it's a little blurry....

Old_Cabs.jpg

Here's after............

New_Cabs3.jpg

Here you can see the old metal colors hidden under the new coverings...

New_Cabs4.jpg

Thanks for looking!!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Tom that's really cool and sure beats making them from scratch yourself. What did you use to attach the false front and panels to the old metal cabinets???
I've got an old ugly but functional metal file cabinet that my wife has been asking me to remake. I don't like the idea of the expensive full extension slides that would be required. I like your idea much more :icon_thum:icon_thum

Dave:)

thrt15nc

Tom
User
Thanks Dave. The screws for the handles go all the way through the metal drawer front. Then I put smaller sheet metal screws from the inside of the drawers into the wood frames. I didn't spend much on it. Just some whitewood and some 1/4 inch oak plywood, all from the borg.

Tom

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Cool, thanks. I was thinking about using some construction adhesive :eusa_thin:eusa_thin I like the idea of the screws for the drawers, but the side panels might be a little hard to get to...especially if the drawers aren't removable.

thrt15nc

Tom
User
Actually Dave the fronts are the only thing I've got sheet metal screws in so far. The sides are being held down and in by the top. I built them a little tall just for that. You're right though, it'll be a little tough to get in to the sides with the drawers in.

Tom

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
It's probably sufficient to only fasten the file cabinet to the outer shell at the bottom or the top. A dishwasher is usually only fastened to the countertop with just a couple of small clips as well. But yeah, non-removable drawers make it a little harder.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Great looking file cabinets -and somehow it transformed into a desk in the process :)I see that type all the time on Craig's List for $10 - 15: in perfect condition, but looking really beat up. With a nice wooden frame like that, you can make some really nice office furniture on cheap! Great idea and great execution.

You may want to send this in to one of the woodworking magazines....

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Actually Dave the fronts are the only thing I've got sheet metal screws in so far. The sides are being held down and in by the top. I built them a little tall just for that. You're right though, it'll be a little tough to get in to the sides with the drawers in.

Tom

Ah-ha, that makes perfect sense. Thanks again for the ideas :icon_thum

thrt15nc

Tom
User
Hey Bas, you know I think I'll take you up on the suggestion of turning this in to some mags. Never thought about that till just now. Won't know if I don't try???:dontknow:

Thanks,

Tom

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Hey Bas, you know I think I'll take you up on the suggestion of turning this in to some mags. Never thought about that till just now. Won't know if I don't try???:dontknow:
Yup. In my completely misguided opinion, I think the chances of this one getting in is pretty high. It's useful, very straightforward to do (the cabinet dictates the dimensions), you can make endless variations in the design (raised panels, flat panels, molding), and you don't need much beyond a table saw and maybe a router.

Besides, they will publish just about old dumb idea submitted by just about any idiot :gar-Bi And get $100!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS