Fess Up - Who Wrote This?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
A tool review that I suspect one of you wrote:

The wife told me to build a dog house, and of course, I needed more tools (!) for the job :). I worshiped the ground she let me grovel on. So, I got down on my knobby knees and asked her if I could buy a new drill. She decreed that it should be so. Yes!!! And she didn't ask how much it would cost!

Went into Lowes in Manassas, bravely approached the tool man and he asked me what I was looking for. "I want the best cordelss drill that money can buy." With eyes misty from a combination of tool lust and jealously, he brought me over to the DeWalt 14.4 and described a sales training video they'd shown of a guy making Swiss cheese of a 2x4 with a 1" hole saw -- in the Sahara Desert -- for hours. There might have been some pre-erotic fumbling on his part as he stroked the fresh plastic and the metal case.

But I walked out of there that day with that drill and an extra battery. This was in 1994 or 95, I think. Two days ago one of those first two batteries finally became unchargable 10 or 11 years down the road. I've used it to build airplane fuselages, work benches, cut holes in wood, steel, aluminum and masonry; for grinding various parts with barbed bits -- allways confident that it would work on any material I needed to modify.

(I had to delete the part where he describes sleeping with it.)

This drill has great clutch sensativity, and excellent torque on demand. It's wonderfully balanced in my hand. While it's massive, it's not awkward. This may sound sad and a bit silly, but that drill has become a part of me, my identity, and the way I look at problems it might help me solve. I'm proud I own it, can't see getting rid of it, will probably keep it in a place of honor when it can drill no more. Ergonomics: 9.5. Durability: 10 Eye candy score: 6-7 (this love comes from familiarity more than initial lust). It looks better now spattered in epoxy resins and paint, and banged up a bit, than when it was new. Mine only has 1-6 and "drill" on the torque setting so it might be an older version of this model.

M

McRabbet

Sounds like its time to get at least one of the batteries rebuilt so you can keep her running for another 10 years!

Rob

sapwood

New User
Roger
:bbiggrin: Not me! Mine was a DeWalt 12.2v, purchase date same, purchase location NC, and LOML got me a new battery 2 years ago. It is always the first drill I pick up. Agree it ain't purty, but I love it :icon_thum

Roger

J

jeff...

:bbiggrin: Not me! Mine was a DeWalt 12.2v, purchase date same, purchase location NC, and LOML got me a new battery 2 years ago. It is always the first drill I pick up. Agree it ain't purty, but I love it :icon_thum

Roger

I see, I have a 12 volt makita, well actually two of them - it was cheaper to buy the drill, two batteries, the charger and the blow mold plastic case than it was to just replace just (1) battery pack. figure, that one out ?.?.?.... :roll:.

I took one of the battery packs apart when it stopped holding a charge and was going to go to radio shack for some new NiCad batteries, but the wires are soldered right to the batteries so I decided against that idea :-?. Sorry just not my idea of fun heating a battery up with a soldering iron.

I like my drill, but not enough to sleep with it :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS