Fall Raffle Status

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

We are making some decent progress on this fall's raffle, but I have yet to hear from some vendors and will send them follow-up emails.

First, I sent letters (an email to Klingspor) to 19 potential contributors in early September and have heard back from five. Today I received the following prizes donated free from Kreg Tools (a K4 Master System [pocket screw jig] valued at $149.99) and from Lee Valley Tools:
Veritas DX60 Block Plane, Cosmetic Second, A2 Blade ($185.00)
Veritas Direct Reading Caliper ($49.50)
Pro Cabinetmaker’s Sharpening Set (Veritas Stone Pond, Veritas MKII Honing Guide, 800X & 4000X Japanese Waterstones) ($162.50)
Veritas Imperial Measure Micro Adjust Marking Gauge ($39.50)
Veritas 20tpi Fine Dovetail Saw ($65.00)
Veritas 16tpi Crosscut Saw ($65.00)

The value total is $566.50
Klingspor has proposed we select from the following choices (based on my exchanges with Coleman Fourshee by email and in person):

Rikon 14" Bandsaw (Model 10-325; 1-1/2 HP; 13" resaw capacity; 16"x21-1/2" table) $899.95 Retail; Our cost $620
Rikon 16" Bandsaw (Model 10-336; 1-3/4 HP; 12" resaw capacity; 19"x21" table) $1099.99 Retail; Our cost $829
Jet 14 x 42 Lathe (Model JWL-1442VSK; Var Spd 450-3000 rpm; 1 HP; on stand) $1299.99 Retail; Our cost $1,000
Fuji Q3 HVLP Sprayer unit with 25' hose and spray gun -- $749.95 Retail; Our cost $500 (discontinued model)
Bessey Clamp Kit (Model KRK2450 K-Body Revo clamps two 24" + two 50" + Blocks) $169.95 Retail; Our cost $115
We have budgeted $1,400 for purchase of prizes this fall, so we cannot afford too deep a hit (and we may have some prize expense from the Woodworking Source - Rick DiNardo). The lathe at $1,000 plus the Bessey clamps is one option; the Rikon 14" bandsaw, the Fuji sprayer and Bessey clamps is another option.

I still expect to hear from Lie-Nielsen and know we will get some wood from Mountain Sawyers and one or more prizes from the Woodworking Source. I have solicited woodworking classes from Greg Paolini, Roy Underhill and Willard Anderson. Greg cannot afford to donate without an assured tax write off for a donation to a non-profit (which is one more reason we need the status), but Rick DiNardo of the Woodworking Source is working with Greg to set up a Chairmaking class and may donate a seat for the raffle if that works out.

I will follow-up with the remaining vendors to see if they will be making a donation or not. In the interim, please give me your feedback on the Klingspor options. Thanks.

I will post a planned schedule and key steps later this week for the October 15th kickoff.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
As much as I would like to see a lathe in the mix, not everyone is a turner. I would like to see a bandsaw in there and those are both good bandsaw choices. A sprayer is probably something that everyone would use either.

JMTCW:gar-Bi

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I agree that the band saw will likely be a biggest draw of those items listed. It would have been nice to have a high end name (Festool or Powermatic) but I am sure Klingspor is doing all they can.

Just a question. Did you ask Chris from CB Burls for a donation? I know he expressed an interest at the picnic.

M

McRabbet

Just a question. Did you ask Chris from CB Burls for a donation? I know he expressed an interest at the picnic.

Actually I haven't asked him, but I'll send him an email tomorrow to see if he can donate some wood.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I like the bandsaw and the Fuji Spray unit second. Most people do not have a spray gun, but do finish their work.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I like the lathe, but I think it would appeal to some and not others.

I'd go with the bandsaw. Turners and flatworkers alike can use it. I'd also go with the 14" model. Its nice and still leaves some 'wiggle room'.

Good work Rob!

M

McRabbet

Here is an update from my initial post that listed the Lee Valley and potential Klingspor prizes. After receiving your input on the Klingspor items, I agreed that the 14" Rikon bandsaw was a good prize and tried to get the Fuji HVLP sprayer as well -- sadly, it is missing some key components (power cord and manual), so it is off the list. Instead, I have opted for two clamp kits that each consist of a pair of 24" and 40" Bessey K-Body Revo clamps with support blocks and a $250 Gift Certificate for Klingspor (we got a 10% discount on it and paid below wholesale on the saw and clamp kits). Additional prizes include three DVD's from Lie-Nielsen on inlay techniques by Steve Latta ($105 value); an Artisan 1/2" Bowl Gouge and three $25 Gift Certificates from Craft Supplies USA ($108 value); a Kreg K4 Master Pocket Hole Jig System from Kreg Tools ($150 value); a Precision Router Lift Version 2 from Woodpeckers, Inc. (for large table routers; winner can designate which router he has and they will ship to them)($330 value); $500 gift certificate for any mix of hardwoods winner wants from Mountain Sawyers, LLC. I am waiting on final word from Rick DiNardo on his plan to contribute a seat in a class by Greg Paolini on Building a Morris Bow-Arm Chair, and from Willard Anderson and Roy Underhill for a seat in one or two of their classes in Pittsboro. So, depending on those latter two prizes, we are now at just over $3,200 in prizes.

According to Tracy, the software addi-in for credit card processing requires one more link to make it operational and he expects that at any time -- we think it is better to delay the raffle start for a few days until that is ready so we do not need to change the process as we did last spring. I will contact Tracy tomorrow concerning the credit card stuff and Rick DiNardo's prize; and alos will contact Willard Anderson again about their prize.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
That is one super list of prizes. It is going to be a real winner. You did great pulling that together. Thanks.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
That is one super list of prizes. It is going to be a real winner. You did great pulling that together. Thanks.

+1 Excellent work Rob! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Just sad that I don't get to enter :gar-Cr Sure could use anything on that list. :rotflm:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Rob that is an awesome list of prizes!
I can only imagine the time this has taken to put together.
Great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS