face-jointing and resawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I had this crazy-crooked chunk of white oak that was destined for the firewood pile, but it looked like it might have some interesting grain. So I got out my face-jointing sled for the planer and took a stab at it. Here's what I started with:

resaw13.jpg

The rest of the board was just as crooked. After a few passes on each side with wedges to keep the board stable, I had this:

resaw31.jpg

Quite a bit thinner, but at least it looks like a board, now.

I've only been playing with resawing, so with the above board in hand, I put a tall fence on the bandsaw, mounted my Resaw King 1" carbide (acquired thanks to great deal posted on this board) and gave it a shot. The result is probably a little too uneven to be useful, but it did reveal some interesting grain:

resaw4.jpg

b4man

New User
Barbara
WoW! I do love interesting grain patterns and that is nice.

I have a question. Why did you plane the board before you resawed it? I try resawing all the time and I've never produced a decent board yet, btw!:embarrassed:

Thanks for the pic!

Barbara

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
WoW! I do love interesting grain patterns and that is nice.

I have a question. Why did you plane the board before you resawed it? I try resawing all the time and I've never produced a decent board yet, btw!:embarrassed:

Thanks for the pic!

Barbara

I'm probably not the one to ask, since I've barely got my feet wet in this. I use a fence when resawing, so it seems logical that if the side against the fence is not flat, the resulting cut will not be straight. That said, my results were not very straight either. I place at least some of the blame on the board itself, it became somewhat curly as I was cutting it. I guess you've got to expect it with all that crazy grain.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS