Extra leverage for F-clamps

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I have entered the second semester of being an octogenarian and my hands are slowly losing their grip. This is showing up in difficulty tightening and loosening these F-clamps. So I added some leverage with a hole drilled thru the handle for a 1/4” dia. brass tommy bar.
IMG_4824.jpeg

Drilled the cross hole in the red handle on a DP with this setup.
IMG_4823.jpeg

Here’s a clamp with the tommy bar inserted temporarily.
IMG_4825.jpeg

I think that I may have to drill a second cross hole at 90 degrees to the first hole (offset so the the holes do not intersect).

Last edited:

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Good solution. I have a lot of pre-REVO K-body clamps and the round wooden handles are kind of miserable regardless of one's age.

Any concerns about risk of splitting the handle?

-Mark

holcombej

jim
User
Pop, I drilled thru mine and put in a 1/4 X 4 hex head with a lock nut. May have to rethink it and go with yours as the bolts sometimes hit each other when using multiple clamps.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Pop, I drilled thru mine and put in a 1/4 X 4 hex head with a lock nut. May have to rethink it and go with yours as the bolts sometimes hit each other when using multiple clamps.
Remembering that collision from smallish C-clamps with sliding cross pins is why I just used a hole with a loose pin. I added the knob mainly to find the tommy bar when I misplace it.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I've found hockey tape works really good.

Occasionally I use the hex on the Besseys, but I'm always asking my self "why does it need to be that tight maybe something is wrong?"

Kirk S

Kirk
User
Pop-Pop, thank you for sharing, this thread has shown that their is a need to share this type of information. Little changes that can help to extend ones woodworking hobby.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I have entered the second semester of being an octogenarian and my hands are slowly losing their grip. This is showing up in difficulty tightening and loosening these F-clamps. So I added some leverage with a hole drilled thru the handle for a 1/4” dia. brass tommy bar.
View attachment 224016

Drilled the cross hole in the red handle on a DP with this setup.
View attachment 224017

Here’s a clamp with the tommy bar inserted temporarily.
View attachment 224018

I think that I may have to drill a second cross hole at 90 degrees to the first hole (offset so the the holes do not intersect).
I saw something like this years ago. In one case they glued a steel ferrule using epoxy to the outside of the handle, then drilled it. I suspect that the ferrule kept the handle from splitting. Another fellow attached a steel nut to the handle with a lag bolt and epoxy and used a wrench to tighten the handle. Both appeared to work well.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Wish I had seen this some years ago. I have buggered up the wood handles on quite a number of clamps. Both thumbs are bad from being a baseball catcher for many years.

The only thing I would add to what has already been said is be careful of over tightening with the additional leverage. I learned this the hard way.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Wish I had seen this some years ago. I have buggered up the wood handles on quite a number of clamps. Both thumbs are bad from being a baseball catcher for many years.

The only thing I would add to what has already been said is be careful of over tightening with the additional leverage. I learned this the hard way.
In limited use so far, I snug the clamp by hand and give another 1/4 turn with the bar and that is just right. Definitely easier than trying to get the final 1/4 turn by hand.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
This mod is working well for me and I make the last 1/4 tightening turn using the brass lever. I did redrill the handle holes to 17/64" to enable the brass to slide in easier.
IMG_4875.jpeg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors