Exterior Shotgun / Rifle rack

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
As a community service project a group I belong to will be building a outside Shotgun / Rifle rack at our local police firing range.
Looking for any pictures, sketches or URL's on the web to assist
us in designing / building same.
Also advice is more than welcome.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Pete, is this rack going to be outside as in exposed to the elements or under some sort of overhead cover? How elaborate of a design are you looking for. What type of materials are you considering to use?

D L

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Pete,

A few more details... How many long guns would be stored there? Should it also hold sidearms? Will this rack require security (locks)? Mobile or fixed?

Ray

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Not a design... just a thought... When I was in the service, or at least when I was in Basic, the ranges had racks (ugly ones) that were either in line (against a wall) or rectangular (free standing) and they were always barrel up, butt down, and leaning toward the wall or center of the rack... somewhat analogous to the golf bag rack just outside the pro shop at your country club.

Ray

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Ray Martin said:
Not a design... just a thought... When I was in the service, or at least when I was in Basic, the ranges had racks (ugly ones) that were either in line (against a wall) or rectangular (free standing) and they were always barrel up, butt down, and leaning toward the wall or center of the rack... somewhat analogous to the golf bag rack just outside the pro shop at your country club.

Ray

Things haven't changed much Ray. Those racks you remember are basically still built the same way and are just as ugly as ever. They are functional though.

D L

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
D L Ames said:
Things haven't changed much Ray. Those racks you remember are basically still built the same way and are just as ugly as ever. They are functional though.

D L

and as I recall, they all come equipped with one trainee standing next to them... with a bunk adapter in his hand. (That was the ONLY time I actually backed down a DI.:eusa_danc)

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
The racks I have seen have looked like crude versions of what you will see in a gun shop - if they have a floor display.

If you are doing the free standing, triangular type - make sure you stagger the grooves for the barrels on each side. That way when guns are put in both sides the barrels wont hit when they lean in toward each other.

If you want to get fancy you could also put some foam or other protective material where the stocks and barrels will touch the rack. That way, people won't scatch their bluing or a nice fancy stock.

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
RifleRack.JPG
This is similiar to what we had in mind, 10 spaces on each side, using pressure treated lumber. 4/4 post sunk in the ground w/ concrete. Small gable roof to keep them out the weather.
But looks like a modification is in order as I see that the police equivalent of the AR14(?) has a triangular sight at the end of the stock to be accomdated. Also wondering about sniper rifles, should there be a concern there with scopes or will they be in the rack sideways. Wondering if anyone has other pictures and or modifications. The enclosed picture is courtesy of another PD.
The small shelf underneath is for ammo.
Triangular type ? Would like to see a sketch or a photo.
Yes ! Barrel up, butt down , but whats the angle of the shelf at the butt ? (rifle butt that is).
No security needed as its a temporary place to store their weapons while waiting thier turn at the targets.
Nice idea about the foam to protect the barrels, and will probably incorporate that somehow.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
The photo looks like a good start. If you decide on pressure treated lumber, be careful where you buy the stuff. Lowes and Home Depot have had some fairly crumby stuff lately; twists, checks, large loose knots, warps, and poorly done pressure treating.

The shelf on the botttom could be flat with a lip at the front or sloped up by 5 to 10 degrees. It's probably more important to have that shelf wide enough so that the rifle or shotgun is leaning back an enough of an angle to keep it from falling off (think of the gun as the hypotenuse of a triangle.)

The ARs and rifles with scopes have a superstructure at the front , rear or both. A wider shelf would make the gun (hypotenuse) sit at a better angle and therefore less likely to fall.

If you're planning on putting a roof on this rack (and I do think that's a good idea), make sure you plant the posts deep. The roof will act as a sail during any wind so you want the thing well planted and secured.

Ray

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
We're thinking along the same lines. If the lower shelf is wide enough, The guns will lean back enough to stay in place. If the 'U' shapped slots at the top are wide enough, and deep enough, they will accomodate double barrel or raised front sight, etc.

Ray

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
MIke - Thank you VERY MUCH !!! That's just the kind of ideas I was looking for, as the scopes and the Triangular pice on the AR's were a concern. You have solved the problem.

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
i would keep the botom shelf flat, or just slighty tipped down (for drainage)

the reason being that the lip will keep the but from sliding off the shelf. but if it is sloped back the rifle may slip into the back hitting the sights or scope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS