Experiment: Start to Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
This project included a lot of new stuff for me: :eek:ccasion1

This prototype is just plain old SYP, but cheap and interesting nonetheless.

Glued up panels for both top and bottom circular pieces (learned a bit about cupping and warping of panels in that exercise).

Through mortises. Thanks to all of you for your advice on how to do this with a plunge router.

Bridle joints for the upper legs. Two (2) circular tops cut with a plunge router and a nifty circle jig from Veritas.

Finishing: Shellac wash coat. Gel coat "Nutmeg" stain. Three (3) coats of Tried & True wipe on "Varnish Oil". Most of the finishing was done before glue up.

P3050123.jpg

P3050124.jpg

P3050125.jpg

P3050126.jpg

I'm thinking about making this piece from ash or cherry. Maybe both to see how they compare and look. Probably no stain on either piece so as to keep the wood "natural". :icon_scra

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice table, Jeff:icon_thum I'd be proud to put it in my house.
Cool idea to do a prototype though. Gives one a chance to learn about design "opportunities" BEFORE you break out the expensive wood:gar-La;
Be sure to post pics of the final version:eusa_danc

Good luck

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Jeff that is a nicely designed table
I grew up in a home with SYP t&g walls so perhaps I have an affinity for it, but I think that looks pretty nice in 'plain old pine.'

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Jeff,

I love the table. NICE job! The through mortises are a great touch. One thing I would suggest (and this is totally up to personal preference). I would line the grain up on the table top and the bottom shelf. Great job! :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Jeff that is a nicely designed table
I grew up in a home with SYP t&g walls so perhaps I have an affinity for it, but I think that looks pretty nice in 'plain old pine.'

Thanks, but I can't take credit for the design. It belongs to Gary Rogowski (at Taunton's FineWoodworking). My spin on his design was to simply use through tenons because I've never done them and I was curious to see how they'd look. :icon_scra

Your right about SYP. I thought the flame figure looked pretty neat, but I oversanded the top so it's not as pronounced as the bottom piece. I may make the cherry & ash versions to see what my LOL thinks. Not a huge investment in either case.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Jeff,

I love the table. NICE job! The through mortises are a great touch. One thing I would suggest (and this is totally up to personal preference). I would line the grain up on the table top and the bottom shelf. Great job! :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Trent

Interesting that you noted that subtlety. I had the table sitting in the living room sunlight and played with the top/bottom orientation. Turned the tops hither & thither and was struck by the somewhat 90 degree orientation in the light. Look at it one way and I had a look, but walked around and I had a different look. Quirky perhaps, but I take your point and thanks for offering it. :dontknow:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Jeff,

That is just my personal preference. I like symmetry. But that's the beauty of woodworking. You can do it however you want, to suit your own preferences and tastes. Excellent work. :icon_thum

Trent

BenBen

New User
Ben
Nice table Jeff.

I might be interested in making a copy. What was the approximate finished height and the diameter of the top? THANKS!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nice table Jeff.

I might be interested in making a copy. What was the approximate finished height and the diameter of the top? THANKS!

Dimensions: legs, 24" length; upper top, 18" diameter (9" radius); lower top, 10" diameter (5" radius). Cross-piece supports for bridle joints and tenons are 11 3/8" shoulder to shoulder. :roll:

That's a start for you. Let us know if you decide to do the project & post pics and your modifications as available. Thanks for your interest. :eek:ccasion1

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Looks great!! I like the design, and the changes you made I like better. You may have sparked an idea for me, and I do like pine, there's a lot of character in pine, every wood's got it's special use. :icon_thum

I also like prototypes, because you can say, "I meant to do that, just to see how it turns out", even if it doesn't turn out so well like some I've tried.

KC7CN

New User
Don
Prototype! I suspect it will be around for many years. Bet you did learn a lot! Good job.

-Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS