Everybodies opinion about ShopFox Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
I am curious for several reasons but to start this off,I want to know from as many guys as possible---What do you think about ShopFox tools? I'm talking the entire lineup.Negative or positive what would or has caught your interest and if negative ,why or what don't you like.:widea:

My daughter is in Marketing in college and she is doing a little research on a subject we both could get into.Kinda group project:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin

M

McRabbet

I happen to be a big fan of Grizzly Tools and Grizzly owns and sells the Shop Fox line of tools as their dealer distribution line. There are some differences, I suspect, but in general, each ShopFox tool is a cream-colored version of a Grizzly model. In general, I think their stationary are the best price/performance power tools on the market. I own 5 Grizzly Power tools and they have all given me very good service.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have the 20" Shop Fox drill press. It is ok, nothing great. The price was good, but the quality is fair. It doesn't have adjustments to get it "fine tuned" so you have to come up with your own modifications.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
If you like it in Grizzly Green, then you can go pick it up in Shop Fox White. Shop Fox is Grizzly's retail line of tools. Only Grizzly I own is a couple of 6" jointers, with which I'm very well pleased.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I happen to be a big fan of Grizzly Tools and Grizzly owns and sells the Shop Fox line of tools as their dealer distribution line. There are some differences, I suspect, but in general, each ShopFox tool is a cream-colored version of a Grizzly model. In general, I think their stationary are the best price/performance power tools on the market. I own 5 Grizzly Power tools and they have all given me very good service.

If you like it in Grizzly Green, then you can go pick it up in Shop Fox White. Shop Fox is Grizzly's retail line of tools. Only Grizzly I own is a couple of 6" jointers, with which I'm very well pleased.

Yep, Grizzly with a different paint job. I am happy with all my Griz machinery and highly recommend them for excellent value priced tooling.
The main reason I don't own any ShopFox machines is that they don't offer the on-line information that Grizzly does. If you try to research SF you can't get any pricing unless you go to a dealer. With Griz, I know what the machine is going to cost me, shipping included.
The only advantage I could see over SF vs. Griz is the local pick-up of the machinery and being able to lay you hands on it before purchasing.

Dave:)

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Personally, I don't own a ShopFox brand, but I have owned Grizzly brand tools. It looks like my opinion may not be as "wow" as the others. IMHO the Grizzly tools are good for the price, but usually lacking in noticeable ways with construction shortcuts (like features they copy that appear to be the same as the competition, but in reality are a cheap copy, or flimsy metal (or worse plastic) pieces).

However, with that said -- I would buy another Grizzly tool (and thus Shop Fox) ... just set your expectations right before you go down that road. It won't be a Powermatic quality tool (or at least I'd be willing to bet)

Rob

New User
Rob
I have a Grizzly horizontal band saw for metal that's held up over 4 years of use. It's been a good machine. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another grizzly too, except shipping is a PITA. For the cost of shipping, and the time I had to take off of work to be home for it, I would probably buy something local now.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I think the key to Griz shipping is picking up the machinery at the local freight terminal. I did that for almost all of my purchases. Picking it up yourself allows you to be there when you can and not have to wait for a 8-1:00 delivery window. Plus most of the shipping problems occur on the local leg of the journey. Picking up at the freight terminal, they can load it straight into your truck or trailer. If there is any damage you don't have to deal with getting it back to them, just reject it on the spot.
Of course with ShopFox you have to pick it up at the local retail establishment.

Dave:)

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
I along with a few others bought a SF 8" jointer and for the money, I would find it hard to beat. Comparing features, it has all the bells and whistles that a Delta has and was much cheaper. I try to buy the best I can afford and couldn't justify paying the extra money for name recognition ie; Delta or Powermatic.

Most all shop equipment these days is made off shore so when you buy one, likely you will get the same quality in another brand. The only case where this might not be true is a tool made in Taiwan vs China. I think the Tai's have a better handle on quality, at least for the present time.

I also have Delta, Powermatic, Mini Max, Sears, Woodtek, Yorkcraft equipment and all have held up well.

Mike

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I have the same DP as Travis Porter, bought on a group buy. It would be easy for me to rant on this subject.

The machining is crude, the fit is haphazard...runout is poor. I phoned Shopfox CS to see if they had any recommendations to improve the excessive runout and was told it met their tolerances. I would add about 2 dollars of value for the 2 year warranty.

I have compared the operation of this DP with a Delta and am disappointed in myself for opting into the group buy on this machine. You get what you pay for.

I don't believe the DP quality is typical of their line. I have friends that bought other SF machines and they have been pleased with both performance and reliability.

Chuck

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I was part of the 8" Shop Fox jointer group buy a few years ago along w/Mike Shelly and have been pleased. The only hiccup was the motor died shortly after a year and they replaced it without any problem. Tech support was excellent and talked me through checking it out with a multimeter instead of paying to ship it in. Otherwise the wood comes out straight and square and we got a good jointer for the money. I've heard Shopfox is being sued by WMH (Jet) over the color paint they use. Pretty silly.

sapwood

New User
Roger
I have the Shop Fox benchtop 6" jointer and I'm pleased with it. It is much more robust than the Delta and similar models and the price was great. The SF fence is cast iron, whereas most others are aluminum. :icon_thum

Roger

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I bought the Shop Fox benchtop oscillating drill press. I purchased it locally and got a good deal because it was a fllor model. Fit and finish was satisfactory and it appears to be accurate. Haven't really drilled anything yet where accuracy was critical :)! I would buy again.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I've heard Shopfox is being sued by WMH (Jet) over the color paint they use. Pretty silly.
Yes, especially when Jet copied it from Delta's "Great White Series" of machines a few years back. As for the two year warranty, use the right kind of credit card and the one year warranty becomes a two.

woodrat

New User
Archie
Hey,

The only Shop Fox tool I have is a pair of calipers that
reads in fractions. Personally, I think my calipers are great. :icon_thum

Woodrat

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Whadda ya have to do to get in on a group buy in the future? I would be interested in a group buy. What are the discounts available for a group buy?

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Whadda ya have to do to get in on a group buy in the future? I would be interested in a group buy. What are the discounts available for a group buy?

Tracy,
The group buy was initiated by Turtlewood in Raleigh. He struck a deal with the Raleigh Klingspor store manager for the jointers and managed the process in a thread that has mysteriously vanished.????? I don't remember the exact savings but it was better than you would normally get. I think he needed 5 or 6 to be ordered to get the deal. He arranged for them to be picked up at the closest store so we didn't have to pay extra for delivery. Each participant had to pay up front at the Raleigh store (some just called in a credit card) before the equipment was ordered. You could do the same thing and talk to Coleman at the Hickory store if you wanted to start another group buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS