European hinge installation

joec

joe
User
I am building a bathroom vanity and plan on using European hinges for the first time ever. I will be building full inset doors and need some advice. My concern is drilling the mounting holes and making the reveal around the doors be consistent. I have not purchased any hinges yet. Do I need a jig for this? Any advice appreciated.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
If you don’t have a drill press Kreg makes a nice jig for this.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
A jig is ok but not necessary unless you don’t have a drill press. You need a good fence with some stops on your drill press.

In general, I found the Blum instructions on just about any product a bit hard to follow. Rule of thumb for cups is 3mm in from edge. I believe this applies to all hinges.

joec

joe
User
I have a drill press. I guess all hinges come with a paper template for installation? Also, attaching for a full inset door would require attaching the the back of the face frame (I guess) so that would be after being able to use a drill press?

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I doubt you will get a paper template, I never have. So if you are going with inset doors and a face frame then make sure you order hinges for that combo. Alternatively you could glue a block of wood to the inside of the face frame to make a flush surface to mount the usual frameless type hinge plates. Here is a photo of some hinges I used for a face frame with inset doors.
As far as the doors go with the 35mm cup hole, like Red said, use a board of the same thickness as the door and make several cup holes along it with different setbacks. At 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm. and see what works best. I actually measure from the center of the hole to the edge, so I mark a spot for the center spur of the Forstner at 20mm, 22mm, 23mm, 24mm etc.

Attachments

• F37CC598-EC78-47B9-A285-75E3264E1192.jpeg
    F37CC598-EC78-47B9-A285-75E3264E1192.jpeg
    953.4 KB · Views: 60

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I have a drill press. I guess all hinges come with a paper template for installation? Also, attaching for a full inset door would require attaching the the back of the face frame (I guess) so that would be after being able to use a drill press?
I haven’t gotten the hinges with a template, but blum has all the templates you’ll need on their website.

In terms of mounting the hinge to the face frame, there are different types of hinge plates with blum or other brands with measurements/templates. I like mounting the hinge to the door first, attaching the hinge plate to the hinge and then using clamps to put the door where I want before mounting to the face frame (hopefully that makes sense!).

Edit: I shouldn’t say template, more like measurement guide:

Last edited:

Ecr1

Chuck
Senior User
I like Salice hinges for inset there mounting plates make in easy to use. Here is their reference chart. Just use the correct offset plate an a full crank hinge.

Attachments

• F35A01F7-CD65-431A-B538-753A71EFF46E.jpeg
    F35A01F7-CD65-431A-B538-753A71EFF46E.jpeg
    491 KB · Views: 60

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I made this drill press fixture out of MDF for my first time using cup hinges at least 100 doors ago. Each time that I use it, I threaten to make a nicer one. It has survived many of those threats!
EB52EC7A-FB50-4DD9-8A5C-3B629D8CD21C.jpeg

joec

joe
User
My head is spinning....... I know it is easy once you have done it, but with all the options, it gets confusing. It seems an overlay door is easier.

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have the Kerg jig. Works OK, but you do need to prototype. I like it because it also locates the screw holes. There are even nicer ones on AliBaba if you trust Chinese sights. The German guy on You-tube has reviewed them.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
After drilling cup hole, I use my "Speed Square" on edge of door and press hinge against it. This automatically squares the hinge to edge of the door. Use a VIX bit to create a starter holes for screws.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
yes I think overlay doors are easier. Also frameless cabinets mean easier hinge installation but I prefer face frame. I haven't found any iron on edging that stands the test of time and glued on solid wood strips don't look as elegant as face frame. So my go to is face frame cabinets with overlay doors for most applications

mpeele

michael
User
I made this drill press fixture out of MDF for my first time using cup hinges at least 100 doors ago. Each time that I use it, I threaten to make a nicer one. It has survived many of those threats!

You have to be carful with "temporary", I has a way of becoming permanent.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS