Euro hinge plug/repair

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Anyone ever had to repair euro hinge cups? I need to repair 2-3 in cabinet doors that are frequently used by little people. The cup holes have wallowed out and the hinges no longer stay in the door.

image.jpgimage.jpg

I was thinking of making plugs, but the bit hole saw seems to be an uncommon size. Im also concerned that the wood plug will not leave enough wood when redrilling. I also think epoxy would be strong enough.

Any other suggestions or has anyone had to repair something like this?

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
35 mm is the larger hole size ... everyone sells that bit now that those hinges are so common.

You don't state what wood type is being "wallowed" ...

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
35 mm is the larger hole size ... everyone sells that bit now that those hinges are so common.

You don't state what wood type is being "wallowed" ...
Right, the hole size is 35 mm but the plug would need to be cut with a larger plug cutter. Otherwise I’m cutting a 35 mm plug for a hole that is slightly larger in some spaces and then drilling a 35 mm hole in the same place.

The wood type is probably poplar, but I’m guessing since it’s painted.

Last edited:

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
The smaller holes are for holding the hinge to the door. i don’t mean no harm but I’ve been in the cabinet industry for about 40 years.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
The smaller holes are for holding the hinge to the door. i don’t mean no harm but I’ve been in the cabinet industry for about fourth years.
I’m confused then. There are no screws with these hinges—so I thought that thought that the middle “larger circle” central portion expands to hold the hinge in the door.

image.jpg

I apologize if I’m being dense. I’ve read your posts and followed your advice a lot through the years!

kserdar

Ken
Senior User
Blum makes a almost identical hinge that uses screws (not expansion/ friction fit).

Square cut out the offending pocket hole.
Glue in new hardwood square.
Drill new 35mm pocket hole.

Ecr1

Chuck
Senior User
Those are inserta hinges if they are Blum. They are friction fit in the cup hole when you push the cover lever down. The two outside holes are just to keep the hinge indexed in the the right position. You could change the hinge to a traditional screw on euro hinge and plug the index holes and screw the new hinges on.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
That explains why several cabinet companies have moved away from Blum, I looked at how this product works, it’s flawed. However, with that said the choices in fixing your issue are replace the hinge, or the door, or both. Or you could plug the hole and re-bore. Or plug the smaller holes and modify the hinge and use screws there. The question I have to ask is how old are the cabinets and the hinges. Most manufacturers have a product warranty for that type of thing. Several manufacturers have warranties in the five year range. The up side here is you have options. Some more pleasant than others.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Could the solution be so simple as spreading glue inside the wall of the large hole, wrapping a couple of layers of painter's tape around the wall, and reinserting and reclamping the hinge. The teeth should bite right through the tape. If the small screw holes need to be repaired, drive a sawed off golf tee into the holes and rebore pilot holes. Mountain ingenuity.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Thank you all!

I really like Bobs suggestion using dowels, but I’m leaning toward filling the smaller holes and going back with screws and a traditional hinge. I just have to find the right hinge!

I did try the superglue in the cup trick before and the results weren’t good/didn’t last long.

I think part of the problem is that the doors only use 3 hinges and are 6’ tall. They were installed prior to 2015 and have all but survived except for the issues with the one door (8 doors in a total).

image.jpg

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
I'm withy Ken's solution of routing and chiseling them out square and filling them with a blank. Strongest rebuild and reuse.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Another option is to plug the center hinge holes completely and rework the top and bottom hinge using threaded inserts. Even though they have been shown to be overkill in new installation pullout tests, they may be a time saver for this application. Then add 2 more hinges for a 4 hinge configuration. If you've got kids swinging on them then you need a little more support - and a 'time out' corner......;)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS