Etau/HiVise/High Vise/Tall Vise

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've wanted to make a high vise for a few years. I started one several weeks ago, and finished it over the weekend.

The wood is ambrosia maple, the screw is a 1" twist lock dumbbell handle, and the cross arms and pins are made from ¼" x 1" flat bar and ⅜" round bar respectively.

High_Vise_final.jpg

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I've wanted to make a high vise for a few years…

Unique design! Kind of minimalist which is great!

Do you have any more photos? Interested in how you did the cross pivot. I assume that you used the nut from the dumbbell screw? Did you add metal for the cross arms bottoms to ride on?

Last edited:

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Unique design! Kind of minimalist which is great!

Do you have any more photos? Interested in how you did the cross pivot. I assume that you used the nut from the dumbbell screw? Did you add metal for the cross arms bottoms to ride on?
Unfortunately, I didn't take any progress pictures.

The pivot pin is a short piece of ⅜" round bar. I used a hacksaw to cut slots for e-clips and there's a washer between the cross arms.

I did use one of the collars for the nut. I drilled, and countersank, holes in each of the tabs and screwed it onto the back of the rear jaw.

I did install a piece of ⅛" flat bar into each jaw mortise for the cross arms to ride against.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
My only test was using a coarse rasp on a scrap piece of cherry, but the clamps held it securely.
My experience has been F-clamps are fine for holding a clamp-on vise for light to moderate forces. C-clamps work better for heavy forces but they are a bit bulkier

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
My experience has been F-clamps are fine for holding a clamp-on vise for light to moderate forces. C-clamps work better for heavy forces but they are a bit bulkier
Did you just say you need a bigger F-clamp?:cool:

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Really a nice vise Matt. I like that it raises the work piece up where you can see it. That should save your back too. It looks like it could also mount lower for sawing or planing?

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
@tvrgeek @pop-pop I forgot to mention this: You can't see them in the picture, but I have holdfast holes 5" from the edge of my bench. If I need extra clamping strength I can use f-clamps and holdfasts together.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Hmerkle There's a little background info in this old blog post:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS