Epoxy ?

Trey1984

Trey
User
First and foremost this is my first time working with epoxy! With that said I'm making some charcuterie boards and filling small voids. One of the boards had a huge knot and it had to be removed. You can see in the pic how big the hole is. My question is what do I need to do/use to cover the bottom of the hole so the epoxy won't leak out? I'm going to put small bead of glue with hot glue gun around the top. I'm also going to color it black. What is best to use mica powder or the liquid dye?. The name of the epoxy is clear pour epoxy resin. Something ordered of Amazon. Don't know if that makes difference. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20230625_214013300.jpg
    IMG_20230625_214013300.jpg
    894.4 KB · Views: 82

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Tuck tape or foil tape can seal the bottom. Or hot glue a scrap piece to the bottom.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
clear packing tape works great for closing the back of the hole. Use whatever you want to color the epoxy. Coffee grounds make a nice dark filler.

John Jimenez

JJ
Corporate Member
I use tyvek house wrap tape from big box stores. I like eye candy powder tint. You may want to seal the sides and seams with a light brushing of epoxy first which will help prevent leaks and bubbles.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Cleanest way I've found that minimizes clean up and leaves bottom smooth and ready to sand--Cover hole with piece of wax paper, then tape it down with packing tape. Go overboard on taping and sealing around the edges.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
First and foremost this is my first time working with epoxy! With that said I'm making some charcuterie boards and filling small voids. One of the boards had a huge knot and it had to be removed. You can see in the pic how big the hole is. My question is what do I need to do/use to cover the bottom of the hole so the epoxy won't leak out? I'm going to put small bead of glue with hot glue gun around the top. I'm also going to color it black. What is best to use mica powder or the liquid dye?. The name of the epoxy is clear pour epoxy resin. Something ordered of Amazon. Don't know if that makes difference. Thanks in advance
I have had good success with Transtint dyes. Added benefit is that you can also use that for coloring your finish, not just epoxy. Make sure you add some sort of filler to the epoxy like sawdust, it makes it less plasticy and dries harder. Coffee grounds, cocoa powder, paprika, I've used lots of food items for coloring as well and they work just fine, but dyes are easier/ more repeatable. Advanced techniques include mixing the epoxy, add dye, mix, then swirl in coffee grounds/ cocoa powder etc. to make the color more natural/ less uniform. Same works with using sawdust lighter/ darker than the wood you're filling.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I have added cheap mica powder (dollar store eye shadow), also alcohol ink.
I have also added coffee grounds (dry) and glitter.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I’m not opposed to epoxy if it adds character but I would not limit your options. Consider a plug or an inlay with either matching wood or contrasting.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Those that have used coffee grounds to tint. Do you use fresh coffee grounds or get your coffee out of them first

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Those that have used coffee grounds to tint. Do you use fresh coffee grounds or get your coffee out of them first
I prefer to get fresh beans (Sumatra/ Kenya blend) and grind them on the espresso setting for Walnut, drip coffee for Wenge :)

It doesn't really matter, used grounds are fine but you have to let them dry first. Given that you only need half a teaspoon for the typical job, it's not really wasting coffee.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS