Entering the vacuum...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Thanks to a super nice guy (NCWWer Russ Denz) and a stupendous deal, I'm finally making my way around the first lap in the vacuum veneering and vacuum chucking race. A few months ago VeneerSupplies.com had a killer deal on some poly bags, so I made that happen ... and now I've got an excellent vacuum to accompany them!:icon_cheers

IMG_1416.JPG

I've also picked up a little cold press glue, a veneer saw and some veneer to get started. A little more prep work and education, and I should be ready to try something else!

I also plan to put this to use at some point as a vacuum chuck on the ol' lathe ... so your turners can expect some questions about that!

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Congrats Jeremy, this will open up a whole bunch of options for you and you're going to love the results you get. I built the venturi vaccum unit a couple of years ago and it works great. I received a new 4' x 4' vacuum bag yesterday and headed to the shop now to try it out on some walnut veneered panels. I continue to be amazed at what a good job it does, (so far) everything has turned out perfect on the first try! :icon_thum

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I'm excited about the opportunity to veneer things this way. I've been piecing together this system for a while now, so it's nice to finally have the vac itself.

One thing I'm looking for is melamine covered MDF ... but I can't seem to find it. Anyone have any ideas who sells this stuff?

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
I have purchased melamine coated MDF at Lowes & HD inthe past. If you can't find it, don't sweat about it. I've just been using regular cheapo plywood or particle board to make plattens & cauls, then spray them with lacquer, knock the fuzzies off, and wax with Johnsons. The plattens & cauls in the press now are 1/2" CDX that I smoothed and flattened with the surface sander, then shot with lacquer and waxed. They work fine.

fergy

New User
Fergy
Jeremy,

I bought mine at Wurth for this very purpose.

Now that you've go a dedicated vacuum, I'll swing over and grab the venturi one you've been storing for me. :)

wayne

New User
wayne
Just curious could a vacuum pump that is used for pulling a vacuum on an air conditioner be used for veneer work. The reason for asking is I have an extra one that has never been used and have thought several times about making up a system useing it for the pump.If so what would be involved in doing so.TIA

Wayne

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
There's an article on vacuum veneering in the current Issue (December) FWW that I received a coupla days ago. Haven't read it all yet but you may be able to pick up some pointers. The author is showing a strange single platten system with the vacuum hose connecting through the bottom with a hole configuration through to the top where the veneer and substrate are located during vacuuming. May work OK, but "hose out the bottom" would always be in the way. This confguration also looks llike a good opportunity for the sharp corners of the substrate to poke a hole in the bag; you can't round over the substrate material like you can the platen and caul. I have generally stuck close to Joe Woodworkers tutorials. I'm headed to the shop now to take out another walnut veneered panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS