Email to all members

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I just sent this email to all members. So just in case, I'm posting here for discussion purposes. Please don't respond by to it by email unless what younhave to say is an entirely private matter.

Repling here, will get the most info to the most members.

Thanks,

System upgrades and Membership Paring

Sorry to intrude on your December, but I want to give fair warning to those members who haven't logged in, in a while. Sometime this month, I will be upgrading the software that runs ncwoodworker.net. I'll be upgrading from vBulletin 3.0.8 to 3.5. While on the surface, this doesn't seem like a big deal, it is because of the number of add-ons, hacks, fixes, customizations, etc. that have been applied. This will make the whole process very time consuming. I will be doing most of the work offline so as to minimize the site down time. Part of this process will be helped if the Database of users is as small as possible. So just before I do the upgrade, I will be paring down the Database. I haven't yet determined the exact parameters for this paring, but be assured it will not be number of posts; we welcome lurkers. But the primary test will be when was the last time you visited the site. Visiting implies being logged on. If your last vist was:

If 30 days, 129 members are at risk.

If 60 days, 69 members are at risk.

if 90 days, 18 members are at risk

So protect your status and visit the site while being logged in. After this first time, it will be done on a scheduled basis without any warning at all.

General Update on site.

www.ncwoodworker.net has become a very active site ( for its size) with a very helpful and polite user base.

There are currently 368 members
839 threads
6691 posts
1314 pictures in the Photo gallery, with 26657 views

We have recently changed our web hoster and our site is now very stable and responsive.

We have also taken over at his request, Mark Gunter's Faces of Woodnet as a sister site, though the 2 sites are maintained completely separately. The only thing they share is myself and the hosting machine. This site is now at www.woodworking-galleries.org

Thanks for your time and please come and visit.

Steve Coles
Webmaster

Last edited:
R

rickc

Maybe picky, but are you sure the numbers are correct? If there are 129 people that have not visited in 120 days, there should be at least that number that have not visited in 30 days. If the numbers are meant to be incremental, that is something else. Anyway, knowing what life can be at times, my two cents worth is to make the cutoff 60 days. And run an update fairly regular. Of course my opinion is worth the paper it is written on! :eusa_thin

R

rickc

Looks fine, Steve. Missed you Tuesday night. Staying at home reading all of your mags from the auction??

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
rcorne01 said:
Looks fine, Steve. Missed you Tuesday night. Staying at home reading all of your mags from the auction??

Ijust got home tuesday morning. Spending 4 days with my 87 year old mother and my 90 year old aunt was exhausting:eusa_booh , so I went to bed early

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS